Virtuoso or Master

Those of us who enjoy playing and listening to the harmonica may be faced with a dilemma from time to time. I know that I have thought about this before. What if we had the ability to play/create a very difficult harmonica piece/riff, which would be very hard for professional harp players to play. This would include famous players, too. Maybe, we could play it, even to where the “stars” couldn’t play it at all or, at least, not as well as us. I know that in my case, this wouldn’t be very likely, pretty much impossible, for sure. But, this is just thinking out-loud. It’s a “fun” and , hopefully, interesting question.

Now, on the other hand, what if we could play a tune/melody which was simple, even very simple. But, this tune was very memorable. It was catchy! It was beautiful! It was the kind of sound which touches us deeply as human beings. It was the kind of song which we hum as we go about our daily activities. It is something which we don’t forget, not ever.

Many popular songs are very simple. They connect with the masses and become hits. They aren’t hard to play by professionals and laymen alike. These songs include all types of instruments, not just the harmonica. But, the common thread is, they aren’t hard to play with any instrument.

So, I come back to the question. Which one would you prefer to be able to do? Demonstrate a new, very hard-to-perform technique or create memorable music? I know that for me, the answer is the latter one. I realize that the likelihood of me producing either one is not very promising. I also understand, that some musicians could do both. I guess, that’s the real definition of a virtuoso or master?