Warning "Hohner Bluesband" harmonica's

Hoi All,

I found this warning on our Dutch Harmonica Forum today, the poster is a well known Harmonicaplayer, so I take his message very serious.
It have nothing to do with me being a Suzukusucker ;D

I used Google translate so perhaps there are some wrong words in it.

He was trying to make the Hohner Bluesband harmonica’s, bought as a set of 7 in Norway, playable for a friend.

Quote:
To my horror, I next encountered, and pay attention now, these harps are harmful to your health!
The reed tongues are often tuned at the factory, (in order to sound in the right pitch) but it is so rude and inaccurate done, that the reed tongues had metal lying around on them, like a kind of curled splinters “that loose as soon as you touch them”.
Result: if you play the harps and you suck / breathe in, this sharp metal splinters directly go into your lungs!
These pieces are 1 millimeter and larger.
I have opened several harps and on 4 harps i found these pieces of metal.

End of the Quote

So just beware of cheap new harps, first tap them out firmly before you even try to play. It good be a problem to other low cost harmonica’s as well, but hopefully it is just a incident!

Have Fun, John

As with everything else, you get what you pay for.

I have never had any metal comming out of these harps though, I have seven and they’re not good, but playable. Makes for good customizing practice.

Now I’m not an authority like some of our experienced people here, and I don’t want to give a testimonial for Bluesband harps. But I bought one that was supposed to be new. I took it apart and cleaned it up anyway and found it to be very clean of any machining left overs. It was very clean and smooth. Of course it leaks a little at some holes. But it is what it is. Surprisingly good playing actually though. I have worked with metal for some years now, so I expect to have to “clean up” after a machining or grinding process on most inexpensive metal products, but something we put in our mouths should be free of flakes and curls, etc. Your post serves as a good warning to me (and another good reason other than hygiene to clean it first) to check for this on any harp before I play it.
Thanks

the reed tongues had metal lying around on them, like a kind of curled splinters "that loose as soon as you touch them". [u][b]Result:[/b][/u] if you play the harps and you suck / breathe in, this sharp metal splinters directly go into your lungs!
:-X

Probably the same reason I don’t suck on the ends of made in China ‘lead’ pencils anymore! Ack! :stuck_out_tongue:

I found the same thing on my Bluesband when I took it apart months ago. I touched a little curl of brass that was left on the reed and it fell off. Hopefully I never sucked any in. That reed has to be sharp now, but I don’t play it anymore since I got a real harmonica.