What song are you working on?

:100::sunglasses::rofl:

Incorrect. Song is in the key of C. (Never trust a robot.) :wink:

HECK YEAH! Arenā€™t all rules created to challenge us to break them? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Remember: if it SOUNDS good, it IS good.
(In the context of technique we have to add how it feels as well:
if it SOUNDS good, and it FEELS good, it IS good. So we donā€™t do things that hurt our bodies.)

In poetry there are no wrong words or punctuation. In art there are no wrong colors or shapes. In music there are no wrong notes.

In the final analysis, this is ART, NOT SCIENCE. :ok_hand:t3:

Please take 10 mins to hear it from a true master. :point_up_2:t3:

Keep on rocking :metal:t3::sunglasses::notes:

3 Likes

The more I learn about music, the more I am amazed at how deep and broad it goes!

Itā€™s literally like having chased a rabbit down a hole to find an intricate maze I never knew existed, I appreciate your guidance through its tunnels.

I am amazed at how music is made and how musicians play it. This video about playing the ā€œwrong notes rightā€ is excellent!

Speaking of rabbit holes thanks for the trip back to 2001 Space Odyssey with Hal! :joy: I was wondering where that link would take me. Makes me wanna watch the movie again.

Thanks for your input @Luke to break a few rules along the way and to flow with what we feel :+1:

3 Likes

Two very clever guys. Some people can do something clever and amazing but I think real intelligence is shown when you can explain it to others in a way they can learn from your experience.

3 Likes

Great playing by you. What a song. Loved the vid. Can you dance like that? So amazing sensual. Iā€™m just having a little day dream at my desk.

4 Likes

Maybe my next song should be September by Earth, Wind and Fire?

Any takers in a challenge?
[/quote]

Wow. Thats fast. If I crack that Iā€™ll go on YOUTUBE. I think the world is safe.

4 Likes

The dancing by the girl in the Vid is incredible and the whole scene is very sensual. Juan Luis Guerra definitely evokes this feeling in his music and the girl seems to have the whole vibe flowing through her body.

I wish I could dance like that or even like the guy who does alright in his own right to highlight her sensuality. Incredible song and video!

Iā€™m just hanging out on the sidelines seeing whatā€™s gonna happen :joy:

4 Likes

Do you remember
The 21st night of September?
Love was changinā€™ the minds of pretenders
While chasinā€™ the clouds away

Our hearts were ringinā€™
In the key that our souls were singinā€™
As we danced in the night, remember
How the stars stole the night away, oh, yeah

Hey, hey, hey
Ba-dee-ya, say, do you remember?
Ba-dee-ya, dancinā€™ in September
Ba-dee-ya, never was a cloudy day

The song sticks in your head once you Humm few bars.

Just listen to what your mind plays and try and replicate on the harpā€¦:wink:

I betting you are gonna get it and we are gonna see you too on YT :sunglasses::+1:

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been working on a few songs with my teacher. I wanted to add more songs that had Terry McMillan on harp other than ā€œAinā€™t Goinā€™ Down ('til the Sun Comes Up)ā€ and ā€œAmazing Graceā€ to my arsenal
The songs Iā€™ve been working on are these: ā€œThatā€™s Why I Sing this Wayā€ by Daryle Singletary

ā€œNo One Needs to Knowā€ by Shania Twain

And the Club remix of ā€œBoot Scootinā€™ Boogieā€ by Brooks & Dunn

4 Likes

Love the sounds on all three of those songs!

Music is so diverse with so many different styles.

Some really nice harmonica in there. Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

@KeroroRinChou,
Good presentation! I used to listen to Shania Twain a lot and now, thanks to your memory, itā€™s back on the agenda.
Here is a little tidbit from my homeland :

Greetings from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

2 Likes

I love that!

What great talent. I know so many people play the harp because if the Blues, and while I dig the sound, the over all vibe is just so sad! :joy:

I suppose thatā€™s why I mainly stick to melodies in first position which donā€™t require accurate bends. Iā€™m sure one of these days Iā€™ll open up the Blues can of worms in my playing, but for now Iā€™m content to listen to it :blush:

Great harmonica playing :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Hello @HarpinBobbyMcB,
are you making progress with ā€œSeptemberā€?
Will probably play it too in your Challenge. Maybe. Maybeā€¦:grin: :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been playing it a bit. Not sure what to do on second part, go up an octave or change harp?

There is a part of the song which sounds a lot like the old song Mindy, and my mouth seems to want to go in that direction, so I have to steer it back into September. :joy:

2 Likes

I donā€™t know the Mindy song. I tried to find it online. Do you have a link?
I look forward to hearing you and Astrid doing September. I canā€™t practice much at the moment. Only have time for a quick toot every now and again but as soon as I get through this back log Iā€™ll be playing much more.

2 Likes

@HarpinBobbyMcB,
I was looking for the right tabs on the keyboard. In addition, of course, the original is often heard.
I will not play a C harp.
The passage in the second part is played in the upper part of the harp. I wonā€™t change the harp like I did on ā€œSailingā€.
Where Iā€™m still thinking about which BPM to use. As fast as in the original, which mainly lives from the singing? You can do it, but the harp doesnā€™t get it here. The feeling for this song was not shown.
But thatā€™s the status for me today after three days!
Greetings from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:
Now itā€™s 3 a.m. and Iā€™m enjoying the rain :umbrella:. Finally!
ā€œIā€™m singing in the rainā€ :notes::notes::notes::studio_microphone::studio_microphone::studio_microphone:

1 Like

@toogdog,
Well, I donā€™t really have the time right now. But somehow thereā€™s always something not to do.
Since I donā€™t want to leave you alone, Iā€™ll try to make it. Now it looks like @HarpinBobbyMcB will have to play alone. Wouldnā€™t be a ā€œchallengeā€ thenā€¦ Who actually suggested it? :smiley:
Maybe we should start with Christmas songs after that :joy:?

2 Likes

I never was too good at lyricsā€¦ :joy:

The name of the song I was thinking about is Windy by The Association from back in the 60ā€™s. More recently the song was featured in Breaking Bad on an episode about Wendy, a rather interesting character in the show :point_down:

I think this is my next song, I love the melody :notes: :sunglasses: :+1:

2 Likes

That song reminds me of mini skirts and knee high boots with too much make-up. Glad weā€™ve moved on a bit from there. But youā€™re right great little melody. I can see how the rhythm makes you flick to it from September.

2 Likes

Glad its cooling down for you. Iā€™m sick of the rain here. Lucky you got out when you could in the sunshine.

1 Like

Okay, here goes a combination of two songs which bring great memories: September by Earth, Wind and Fire and Windy by The Association (I posted a pretty cool version up abovešŸ‘† from the television series Breaking Bad).

You can see the lyrics to what I play in the description on YouTube if you want to follow along. Iā€™m not much of a tabs guy, so Iā€™m not really sure most of the time if Iā€™m drawing or blowing, or even what hole Iā€™m on, but rather just play what seems to sound right. With that said, Iā€™ve found the tabs to be an invaluable resource for when I just canā€™t figure out the melody, which happens with some frequency.

The second song kept coming to mind as I played the first, so I decided to put them together.

Most challenging for me in the first song was the first note which in one tab I saw was a 3 draw bent a full step, and though it probably could be done without the bend, I decided to give it a shot with the bend. Iā€™m still not great with bends, particularly on my A harp, but practicing it over the last few days has helped me to get it a bit better.

Another challenging part was to get the transitions from the lower octave to the higher octave and then back again to the lower in September. Again not great, but I finally got something that seemed to work for me.

I tried doing some tongue blocking in the higher octave, as one of the tabs I found suggested, but either I wasnā€™t doing it right or they were wrong, because it just didnā€™t seem to add anything to the song, so I just did what sounded right to me and decided to leave tongue :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: blocking for another dayā€¦ :wink:

While Iā€™ve shared some of the other songs I play on Instagram and other olaces, those Iā€™ve shared here on this forum have been especially fun to do since I know many who are here go through the same thoughts and challenges as I do when Iā€™m working on a song.

Happy Windy September to all yā€™all :sunglasses:

4 Likes