Which key harmonica to use

Really confused about which harmonica key to use when you know the key of the song? Also is it different for Blues songs?

3 Likes

Hello @rjf132

3 Likes

Thank you. Does this circle of fifth make sense?

1 Like

Hi @rjf132

That chart is OK and gives you the same basic info as the picture that @AstridHandbikebee63 posted. Are you having problems understanding her chart? If so, let us know.

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I am confused also. The table and circle of fifths makes sense. What confuses me is using this with a harp tab. Say the tab is in G and the note is -4, and I play a C harmonica. What note should I play (-4 or -4’)?

2 Likes

Huh? There is no H and 2nd position is the fourth of the key, G then C then F, D for G is the 12th position.

ADGCFBd first thru 6th position 12th is E

1 Like

C harp is 1 CD (blow, draw) 2 EG 3 GB 4CD 5 EF 6 GA 7 CB 8 ED 9 GF 10 CA

notice the blow 1-10 is CEGCEGCEGC, C triad chord, G would be any of those, now a G harp use a G triad chord for blow, GBDGBDGBDG and so do the rest of the harps, unless country tunes or other specialty harp.

Most harps come with a hole map.

1 Like

A circle of fifths in reverse is a circle of fourths, C to G, G is a fifth of C, but C is a fourth of G.

1C, 2D, 3E, 4F 5G, 6A, 7B, 8C (back to root C octave higher)
1G, 2A, 3B, 4C, 5D, 6E, 7F#, 8G (back to root octave higher)

1 Like

Hi @GreenStamps

I see that the chart provided by @AstridHandbikebee63 has confused you. It is in German and in the standard/traditional German writing style for musical notes “H” indicates the same note that we (English speakers) have named “B”. As you can see in her chart, there is no “B”. Also “Hm” is what you would call “Bm”.

And in the circle of 5ths provided by @rjf132 it appears that you did not read the text carefully. Read it again, word for word, and you will see that it is correct.

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

2 Likes

@rf132 welcome to the forum! Glad to have you hear my friend. Yes, folksy style playing 1st position,. Bluesy style playing, 2nd position, harmonica plays in the key up 5 letter names. Position chart is the easiest, but circle of 5ths works too. I explain it here:

On the circle of 5ths:
Look at the space on the chart for a harmonica in a given key, it will play in the song key in the space to the right.

Look at the space on the chart for the key of a song, to figure out what harmonica you need to play in that key song, look at the key in the space to the left.

@theodoreowens welcome to the forum! The tabs do not change. They are the same no matter what harmonica you play. (You will just be playing the song or melody in a different key depending on what harp you pick up.)

More here:

2 Likes

Deutsche aye? Okay, I thought it meant H for high as in octave of the key at first. The circle of fifths< I merely pointed out that backwards it is the circle of fourths, As in, G has D as the fifth and D has G as its fourth, I actually have an interactive wheel of fifths I bought in 2008 and it also mentions this fact on fourths and fifths.

1 Like

My chart from the 60’s as to position is the fourth, 1st root, like C, then 2nd is F. Cross is 5th. which C is G, however usually G is a lower pitch than C. Going by Jon Gindick’s book, Rock n Blues Harmonica. Which I bought some 20 years ago.