008k / Special 20 / Lee Oskar

My untrained lips don’t notice any difference between the DF and the SP20. On days when my bends are working (and I have had a few) they both work. On the (many) days that the they are difficult, neither harp wants to be friendly. I had a day recently when I could hit all 8 bends with relative ease. The next day, most were slipperier than a fresh caught trout. However, I am making progress, if not day-to-day, at least week-to-week. I still am mulling over the idea of getting a Seydel Session Steel, possibly in a Low F or maybe an A. I still love the lower tones. My Oskar lowC resists my efforts to bend, especially the lower tones.

4 Likes

Hey Luke, I have two bullet mics and lately, mostly use a 58 vocal. I seldom use an amp anymore – plug the 58 straight into the pa. Trying to find the right amp I can afford is challenging. I’ve been through 5 of them. Right now I have two Fenders, that little 5W job and the venerable Blues JR, and an old Crate (can’t remember the model) that I paid 80 bucks for and is worth about 40, but sounds pretty OK. I’m honestly not in love with any of them and always on the lookout.

3 Likes

I have a follow up on my comparison of my three harps…

The Lee Oscar wins the best harp to stand up at an angle.

All harps stand on edge, but only the LO stand at the ready at an angle :eyes:

Gotta like dat :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Flip them over @HarpinBobbyMcB and they’ll all be correctly unnamed… :grin:.
No seriously, I always put mine the other way around to dry. Mine is easy, none have “their name” on the back and they didn’t give me their consent for a :camera_flash::wink:

3 Likes

I never thought of that @AstridHandbikebee63 , but if they need to drain and dry from excess slobber, isn’t it best to have them with the blow holes down?

Maybe that is why the Lee Oscar can be set at an angle, that way the slobber doesn’t accumulate in puddles under the harp, rather dries quickly in the slight breeze that blows beneath the holes… Lol

I have no permission either for :camera_flash: , hope they don’t mind the free publicity :sunglasses: :notes:

3 Likes

I recently got a SP 20 with brass comb (key of A)from Bluemoon w/ blues tune…I love it. Worth every penny

4 Likes

I love the Blue Moon harmonicas RECESSED brass combs

3 Likes

I was visiting my nephew over the holidays and by chance he had a Special 20 in A, which I got to test drive.

I love the key of A and it rocked for what little I got to play it. Then I got my LO, which still gives me a little trouble on my low dough notes. I’ll have to give them a side by side comparison next time I see my nephew :wink:

1 Like

That’s quite a collection @stevenlois1

When I grow up, I wanna be like you! :sunglasses:

I see you have pretty much all the keys as I can tell, what are your favorites?

1 Like

Actually, that is not my whole diatonic collection.
I have Manjis for the minor keys and Sedel Sessions for the flat minor keys.

2 Likes

I have the Special 20 in C, which also sounds great. I might buy A next because I like the sound a lot too.

2 Likes

Incredible!

Which harps do you find you use the most?

Any in particular?

1 Like

Initially, I wanted my Special 20 in the Key of C, as well, to replace my blown Easttop. Instead, I got a Db, which has actually been a blessing in disguise since I really like the sound of the flats. I’m thinking my next harps may be a Special 20 in Ab to give me an Eb in 2nd Position and a Golden Melody in C to get my basic melodies back in the middle octave of C, which I lost on my Easttop.

So many options and so little time! :joy: :notes:

1 Like

No. The usual suspects.

1 Like

Yes, spoiled for choice @HarpinBobbyMcB.
I also have the Golden Melody in the keys of C and A.
Depending on the manufacturer, they are different in terms of the groupings of the songs, despite the fact that you have the same key. Of course, they also play differently.
When I learn something new and it’s not obvious, I try out the models for it first. If the song has no accompaniment, I also change the key.
I try and test, depending on hearing and feeling. Some days I have to use a different model because the harp I chose just doesn’t feel good in the mouth.
At the moment my focus is more on the technology to make good recordings for me. But I think I made good progress yesterday. Everything has to be stable first in order to make progress.
As you write, time is missing and running.

2 Likes