1,4,5 chords! am I thinking right?

As I improve my technique I enjoy growing in theory too.

Many songs (not just blues) have the 1,4, 5 and often the minor 6 chord progression. Case in point Green Day good riddance/ time of your life g// c/ d/ and in the bridge also em.

So… in theory let’s say you’re jamming through minor pentatonic scales - for example E, A, B - could this be done by crossing over positions?

I’m just learning about positions above 1 thru 4 so please correct me if I’m off track with the following example:

4th 3rd 5th positions minor pentatonic scales

Example on a G harmonica

1 chord E - 4th position

4 chord A - 3rd position

5 chord B - 5th position

Notes

E G A B D

A C D E G

B D E F# A

Holes

1 chord 4th position

-6 7 -8 8 9

4 chord 3rd position

-4 -5 6 -6 7

Or

-8 -9 9 -10 10

5 chord 5th position

5 6 -6 -7 -8

Would the above work on a g harmonica to match say a guitar who is playing 1 4 5 chords in E?

Does this question even make sense :joy:

Thanks
Mike

1 Like

Seems to me you need to stop thinking and play what sounds right/good to you. All that mental energy directed toward “positions” etc. nothing left for the music part.

4 Likes

You know brother - you’re 100% right - thanks for that reminder

I do tend to overthink and stick myself in a creative box.

Thank you

1 Like

Hey Mike - it’s much simpler than you’re making it here my friend.

If you’re playing with a guitar who’s doing a I IV V in key of E (and even if there’s a vi in there) there’s 2 good options for you to explore:

1.) E Harmonica playing in 1st position. BOOM.
2.) A harmonica playing in 2nd position

Now, as you expore both of those over songs like the Green Day song you mentioned, you’ll find certain notes don’t sound good at certain times. To get out of that scenario, you may want to invest time into learning the Major Pentatonic scales which you can just play throughout the whole tune and should sound great;

One more note here: learning the melody will always serve you when soloing. You can play/embellish the melody for a solo and you’ll always be loved for it.

Hope that helps! Rock on! :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Thanks for the in-depth answer @Luke

Yeah… makes a lot of sense.

Much simpler.

3 Likes