2 draw anger!

Hey everyone I hope you’re all good.

So although I flyed through the chords module, I am struggling a bit with the single notes. Well to be honest I’m actually just struggling with the two draw. I appreciate this is a commonly discussed topic, however, I am such a perfectionist that it is driving me crazy.
I can only hit the two draw if I use the KA sound.
I do a bit of music production so I’ve put the notes through melodyne. Until I focused only on the KA sound, I couldn’t get it at all so I feel like a bit of progress been made.
But the longer I’m doing this. It is becoming frustrating and therefore any relaxed mouth is not occurring anymore.
I suppose I hoped/wondered if anyone could offer some reassurance that it is okay that I can only do it this way at the moment. After all, I’ve only been practicing for a few weeks at playing the harmonica.
Should I keep practicing to nail it on or should I just continue enjoying the course? Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thank you, Dan

3 Likes

Hello Dan, @daniel.annable2,
I continued with the course and came back to it later when I had problems.
I’m also very self critical, but I don’t torture myself! Keep learning and you will notice that the new things will also help you develop in the problem areas.
That’s my tip and it works! Your body is a big, great thing, where your interaction between the brain and motor skills is constantly learning, even subconsciously.

Greetings from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

4 Likes

Hi Astrid

A bit of reassurance is exactly what I needed. Thank you so much

Dan

3 Likes

Try using different types of articulation.
Like:
Tee Too, Dee Doo Du, Eee Ooo, Kee Koo
interchange them as you go, see how you get on.

Remember Taa Taa
Over the course of your learning you will build up a repertoire of articulation to play tunes.

3 Likes

Hello @Dai, thanks for the tips! However, I’m past that point and playing different tunes in different genres.
Apart from that, I can’t play while running or walking because I need a wheelchair.
I created other options for myself.

Greetings from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position: :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I had trouble with the 2 draw. I’m using the eee to get the 2 draw and I just figured this out yesterday. When you finally get it the 3 blow and 2 draw are in tune and that’s a good feeling. I’m using eee for 2 draw. enhaul slowly and should feel the cool air coming into the top of the palate. Keep trying you’ll get, that’s what they told me. lol

3 Likes

That sounds like a problem with the reed, to me, and it happens occasionally to my harps, as well. You should be able to play every note with a simple inhale/ exhale. The reed may be dirty, fatigued, or poorly gapped. Using the “ka” pulls a burst of air across the reed at a bit higher velocity enough to achieve the note and is useful for effects but shouldn’t be necessary to play the harp. Sometimes the reed loosens on it’s own. but if it were mine I’d run it under some water, shake it out and let it dry. If that didn’t help, I’d take it apart. Maybe Slim will add some input on this. Good luck.

3 Likes

Strange. I’m new to this, but read something online about checking the reeds. I took it apart and noticed the 2 draw sitting way higher than the other reeds.
Maybe that’s the issue? Or maybe it’s normal , I don’t know.
But I played the my hohner golden melody (first time using it) and have no issues

1 Like

Hello @daniel.annable2,
actually it is the case that a reed is about as high as the neighboring reeds.
If you notice that the reed differ greatly in height from reeds 1 and 3, then this indicates that it cannot be right.
The fine tuning requires a lot of patience and sure instinct. It can happen that you have to take the harp apart again and again for several days to correct the reed. With small corrections, it likes to go back to the old position.
Make absolutely sure that the reed can swing freely and is free on the sides. Hold the comb up to a light source and you can see it clearly.

Greetings from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

4 Likes

Thanks for replying Astrid.

It is sitting higher than all the other reeds.

I bought from amazon so return are easy, I will send it back for a replacement harmonica

Thanks

Dan

1 Like

Hi Dan @daniel.annable2

I agree totally with Trapper @Trapper and Astrid @AstridHandbikebee63 that the trouble is the large gap that the 2 draw reed has – especially if you have no problems on your other harp(s). To avoid sending it back you can simply try reducing the the gap using a wooden toothpick, for example. It is often quite easy with brass reeds because they bend with less effort than stainless steel reeds.

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Just to add to the advice from Astrid & Slim: If you adjust the reed yourself you will have accomplished something and gained valuable experience that will likely come in handy the future. There are several Utube videos that show the procedure. – perhaps consider it. ___ Trapper

4 Likes

@AstridHandbikebee63 @Slim @Trapper thank you all for the advice.
I suppose the fact that I want to be serious about playing, necessitates that I will likely need to do this at some point any way so may as well be now.
Thank you all. I’ll give it a go.
Dan

6 Likes

That’s the spirit, Dan @daniel.annable2 !

Just be patient and do not try to solve the issue in one quick (and possibly catastrophic) reed bending session. Until you get a “feel” for this, make only slight (but visible} changes in the gap. Then re-assemble and test the harp.

There are not only YouTube videos but also various posts in our forum with advice. If you have trouble or don’t seem to be making progress then tell us what you have done and someone here will try to assist you.

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

5 Likes

It certainly COULD be the reed by 9/10 it’s a technique issue.

Struggling with -2 in tune is is perfectly normal problem that all beginners experience.

Of course one solution is to just play 3 instead of -2, but in the long run you want to work on your -2 because you have have so much more expressive options (vibrato, bending, and playing it along with -1 at same time) with the -2.

These are the tips for a getting good -2:

1.) Let gravity lower your jaw so that it’s totally relaxed and in a nice “aw” vowel shape, your teeth should be far apart from each other

2.) Keep the back of your tongue down, like it is when you yawn. Make sure it’s not in the “Kk” zone (how your tongue is when you say a “Kk” consonant.)

3.) Nice steady, GENTLE, airflow. Most beginners (and many intermediate and advanced players) use WAY to much pressure.

Keep experimenting with different vowel shapes, as @Dai said, and be patient with the process. we all went through the frustration you’re feeling.

I saw the title of this post and chuckled out loud!

Hope that helps! :sunglasses:

Aloha,

Luke

4 Likes

Hey @Luke thanks for responding.
It was just strange that with the golden melody I can play it much better.
But I am trying to persevere with the lee Oskar. I have adjusted the reed and it is definitely nich better.
I’m trying all sorts ( head tilted back). I’m a proper stressed out guy in general so relaxing my shoulders etc is difficult.
I was getting frustrated at first but starting to laugh it off now.
I’ll get there!

6 Likes

I find that when your messing around not expecting anything things seem to come together more easily. I’m more relaxed and things just click.

5 Likes

Hey @daniel.annable2 no need to “persevere” with the LO my friend. If you love the Golden Melody, PLAY THE GOLDEN MELODY! Harp brand choice is all about what makes you feel happy personally, and inspired to play. Period. ROCK ON. :notes:

4 Likes

Hey @Luke. Truth is I love the Golden Melody, it is so comfortable for me!

4 Likes

A great lesson from Jason on using the 2 draw bends.

4 Likes