2022 Harp Goals. Happy New Year!

Posting goals for '22. Would like to see others also!

1. Memorize JP’s “Kitchen Sink”
  2. Achieve L3 on D. Barret’s 10 levels
  3. Record 3 ‘clean songs’ - I’ll take recommendations on this one
    Sweet Home Chicago
    When the Levee Breaks
    ??? Indiara Sfair - Improvisation?
  4. Improve on “Improv”
  5. Bluesify some melodies
  6. Improve clean speed - I’ll take tips on this one!
6 Likes

Love your goals! Mine are in no particular order:

1. Practice more on my bends on hole 1 2 and 3

2. Get better at getting a CLEAN sound on -8 every time.

3. Get harmonicas in A and LF (and probably other keys as well)

4. Memorize “Shallow” by Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper and get better at playing along to the backing track

5. Play in 2nd. position more often

5 Likes

@eric I have to ask. What is JP’s Kitchen Sink? I know who JP Allen is, but not familiar with the Kitchen Sink part. Could you explain more as you have me curious.

1 Like

It’s a song JP has in his “Breakthrough Blues” course

1 Like

I definitely want to improve over all. But I would like to learn how to bend and improvise. I know that as I continue through the course that all will come. Happy new years yall!

4 Likes

Learn to play with out tabs

4 Likes

That’s a good one Bob! Start with a song you know really well, and memorize it. That’s the best way to start being able to play with out tabs.

Rock on,
Luke

4 Likes

I’ve been wandering and thought I would look back and see how I was doing… Well my update: 1) Haven’t worked on it at all :< 2) I have completed 2 Levels of achievements and should do 3 by eoy 3) I have recorded some clean songs, but only one that I listed… 4) Improv is getting better but still not where i want to be 5) done 6) getting better…

I did another which was to play live which was a big deal.

I still have a few months to go. Taking some time to do some one on one lessons to help me stop from wandering drifting. Need some focus and structure along with some fun. Hard to find all 3 of those. -Y’all take it easy!

4 Likes

Right on Eric that’s awesome you were able to play live! Can you tell us a little more about that experience?

Regarding:

This simple exercise from Howard Levy’s new book might be a good one to help with the clean speed!

Thanks for the update Eric! I’d love to hear updates from @vibe and @bob as well!

3 Likes

Here’s a list of my goals:

1. Get a Hohner Golden Melody in every key (this is a goal that’ll take a few months for me to do)
  2. Properly learn “Ain’t Goin’ Down ('til the Sun Comes Up)”
  3. Learn to play other country songs with harp as the lead instrument (no “Orange Blossom Special”, though)
  4. Advance forward with my lessons with Todd Parrott
  5. Release music as an independent artist
4 Likes

I’m currently in Finland where I’ve been since August 25th, and I go home in two days, so I haven’t been harping for about two weeks now

As for my goals, I did get harps in LF and A (and other keys aswell) and I’ve been playing a bit in second position

I kinda stepped away from Shallow for now, as my main focus has been Stand by your man

I’m moving to Finland later this year/early next year, and I’m going to be living in a small apartment, so my playing options will be limited

but until then I still have a cover to perform

5 Likes