2023 - Harp Goals

I did this last year and it helped me focus. I am now moving into my 3rd year of blues harp. I must say the first year was much easier than the second year. I started 2022 lost in the wilderness knowing techniques and not knowing what to do next.

I was largely successful in last year’s goals, but deviated a bit. One thing that I highly recommend is to sit and do a self-assessment on techniques…for me the self-assessment was invaluable.

• Listen to learn, learn to feel, feel then play (my North goal)

• Bending - land the bends don’t scoop the bends

• Continue the tongue block training but do it with a hybrid approach in mind

• Focus on rhythm / time

• Get comfortable with improvisation

• Get so dang good with blues scale that the neighbors start humming it!
    +6 -5 -4 -4/ +4 -3 -3// -2
    -2// +2 -1/ +1

• Improve weekly training planning. Stop chasing squirrels

Happy new year y’all!

-Eric

10 Likes

Good plan
Have bookmarked
Doing course and after course will look at these goals
Appreciate your input @eric

2 Likes

2023 Recap

For the most part did fairly well with the list.

Bending has improved substantially.
Tongue block - dropped off on this, but as of recently am bringing it back in to play.
Focus on time - mostly by ear, however, have some new tools now and am really set on this for the upcoming year.
Improv - more comfortable and need to keep it on the list for 2024. I’m coming around. Oddly enough learning to improv has caused me to start learning theory.
Blues scale - everyone is humming it in my neighborhood.
Still chasing squirrels, not sure how to reign in on this, but if it is on my list it’ll get tamed.

1st part of the year I was on fire learned several great tunes:

*Blues for Big Nate - Jerry Portnoy

*Another Round - Foo Fighters

• Checking up on my baby - SBII

*Scratch My Back - Slim Harpo

*Work With Me Annie - Snooky

• Help Me Intro - SBII

*Can’t hold out much longer - Little Walter

I mixed in lots of other intros, licks and grooves in the first part of the year. Then life slowed me down, I kept practicing, but wasn’t able to continue the song study bonanza. Hopefully I can pick up next year and add some more good songs to the list.

Hope everyone else has had a great 2023. I will try to post 2024 goals in the next few weeks. Likely a few carry overs!

-Eric

3 Likes

My 2023 goals and resolutions are pretty simple. I want to keep continuing my lessons with Todd and to work on playing with a rack with the electric. I’ve been getting a little bit better at guitar since I started out. I learned how to play a few open chords, two riffs, and one full song. I decided to save slide playing for later and go into strumming chords and playing riffs. Maybe I’ll try slide a little later on once I get to know a few scales.

4 Likes

Go Eric!
You are an inspiration.

3 Likes

Hey Eric - very good man! Congrats on all your progress. May 2024 be an equally productive year on the harmonica. BTW I"m curious about “new tools” for focusing on time?

2 Likes