3-draw on G harp

On my C harp 3-draw is much easier than 2-draw. I just bought a Special 20 in G and now I’m finding it’s just the opposite, 3-draw is harder. Is this normal or do I have a bad reed?

1 Like

Hello @dowap,
I’ve been playing and learning with a 3-month break since September 2021.
Based on your question, I just tested my available harmonicas on slide - 2 and - 3.
I don’t notice any difference with my Hohner Blues Harp C and G, everything is easy.
On my Golden Melody, I confirm what you write. However, only if I test briefly and don’t make much effort.
I don’t notice any difference within a song either.
But I can remember well that at the beginning of learning exactly these - 2 and - 3 were the most difficult to play without bending. With the right technique and patience, this is no longer a problem.
You just need a different amount of train between the models.
Greetings from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

2 Likes

Thanks Astrid @AstridHandbikebee63.
Using the “Bend it Better” tool on the website I am able to hit the right note (F#/Gb) briefly if I use just the right amount of effort on the draw. I guess I just need a lot more practice and patience. I also have an A Special 20 and I’m not sure I made the right decision in getting two extra keys so early in my training. Maybe I should’ve just stuck with my C harp until I could start bending properly.

2 Likes

@dowap,
Exactly patience and not too much saliva. :grin:
No, you didn’t get different harps too early, I think based on my own experience.
I too have the Special 20 in A.
As already mentioned, Blues Harp and Golden Melody in C and G and a set of the Fender Blues.
I use almost all of them regularly. Just because it’s fun to hear the differences and feel them on the mouth. The latter means learning a feeling for the different construction methods and the need for air. I think that’s how you learn and develop the sensitivity for feeling and also my muscles, the large (upper body) and the small muscles on and in the mouth as well as the tongue and larynx.
Imagine you do competitive sports and start out completely untrained. Then you know how long it can take, plus talent and your brain needs to be very busy too.
Give him and yourself the time and treat yourself to it!
You will suddenly notice how :boom: is doing and you are making good progress. That means the time and patience you invest in the beginning will come in handy later. And all this with good relaxation in the upper body.
Greetings from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

3 Likes

Thanks Astrid, that’s very good advice.

1 Like