3 Reasons You Should Learn to Use a Mic

3 Reasons why to learn how to use a mic

1. To get that badass, distorted bluesy tone . If you want to achieve this sound there are basically 3 components:

:small_blue_diamond: Microphone choice - typically bullet shaped mics

:small_blue_diamond: Getting an airtight cup around the mic to overdrive it

:small_blue_diamond: Amp choice (or alternatively plugging into a pedal to simulate an amp which gets plugged into the PA.)

2. The second reason to consider learning to use a mic is in order to be heard among a large group of people .

If youā€™re playing for friends or family in the living room, a mic may not be necessary, but once you get up the courage to play at an open mic at your local bar or coffee shop, youā€™ll likely need to play into a microphone in order to be heard by the audience.

In this scenario, youā€™ll most likely use the microphone plugged into a PA thatā€™s provided by the house.

3. Another reason to use a microphone is to be heard among other musicians .

As soon as you add a bass and/or drums into the mix, the overall volume of the music increases a lot, and youā€™ll need a mic to be heard at all, even if itā€™s just a jam session at your buddyā€™s garage.

In this case, if a PA is available, you could go with playing into a mic thatā€™s plugged into a PA system (as in our open mic scenario above) OR you could venture into the 3rd reason to learn to use a mic.

If youā€™re a lover of the electric blues sound, then at some point youā€™ll probably invest in a mic and amp, even if you never play in front of people or with other musicians, but just because itā€™s fun to play with that killer tone.

Do you understand the difference between ACOUSTIC and AMPLIFIED harmonica?

When you play into a mic plugged into a PA, we call that ACOUSTIC playing (because even though the PA is technically amplifying the sound, the end result is simply a louder version of the acoustic harmonica sound).

By contrast we call it AMPLIFIED harmonica when youā€™re going for that distorted bluesy sound thatā€™s typically achieved by playing a bullet-style microphone with an airtight grip into some version of a guitar amplifier.

:exclamation: BTW . Iā€™ve just been testing out this Shaker MadDog mic. Hereā€™s my quick take on itā€¦

:white_check_mark: What I love about it:

:+1: $128 at the time of this writing makes it on the cheaper end of the spectrum

:+1: Itā€™s probably the smallest and lightest weight harmonica mic out there, comfy to hold , and allows you to get more hand wah effects to translate better than any bullet style mic

:+1: The volume knob

:+1: 2 Tonal options:

:arrow_right: Plug it into an instrument cable for a smoother clean-ish tone .

:arrow_right: Spend another $45 and plug it into a Ā¼ inch male to XLR Male ($30) into a matching transformer ($15) and it becomes a badass distorted sound that competes with other bullet style mics.

:x: What I donā€™t like about it:

:-1: The cable is permanently attached to it , which makes it less tidy to put in my harmonica case.

:-1: Itā€™s so light, and with its plastic construction, I worry about long-term durability taking it into clubs and bars.

Whoā€™s this mic for? I think itā€™s perfect for players who like to use hand wah and are frustrated with the way bullet mics donā€™t translate hand wah tones into the electrified world.

Itā€™s also probably the most ideal mic for someone who only has functional use of one hand, but is wanting to get a distorted tone.

The Shaker MadDog would be a great mic for beginners to consider.

Wanna hear it in action? Check out my video review .

What is the competition?

:small_blue_diamond: tight budget , Bottle of Blues is the cheapest Iā€™m aware of

:small_blue_diamond: traditional bullet style mic , the Hohner Harp Blaster or the Bulletini

What do YOU think about playing with a mic???

6 Likes

Iā€™ve been playing with vocal mics since 2019 when I did a karaoke session during choir. I mainly use them because itā€™s what I have available and itā€™s the sound that Iā€™m after. I like to call this sound ā€œclean amplified harpā€ as compared to ā€œdirty amplified harpā€ like the Chicago sound. Iā€™m actually going to play with a band sometime soon and I get to use the PA. I havenā€™t played with one since June of last year. Iā€™m so excited to start doing live performances again.

5 Likes

Ooh Iā€™m so excited for you! And for those who are gonna get blessed by your awesome playing! Keep us posted how it goesā€¦ CHEEEE HOOOOOOO!!! :notes:

3 Likes

Luke,
I have a bullet mic. I have large hands but canā€™t seem to get the seal needed to really ā€˜wahā€™. Any suggestions?
Ricci

2 Likes

Hey Ricci @stchamps2002 - yes, thatā€™s the nature of playing amplified vs. playing acoustic. You have to rely much more on your mouth and less on your hands for that wah sound. Though a smaller bullet like the Bulletini COULD help.

Have you considered the Mad Dog?

Hope that helps!

Aloha,
Luke

2 Likes

Thanks brother! Iā€™ll look into it.

2 Likes

Luke - a major reason l recommend the Shaker is because many people (particularly ladies) have smaller hands.
Robert
London :maple_leaf:

4 Likes