A swarm of bees in my #5 hole of my EastTop 16 hole

I have just replaced three of the valves. I did not use new ones (I know, I know - what a dolt!) Anyway the recalcitrant #5 valve buzzes and flaps for the first few minutes of paying it but then becomes more compliant. Is there a way of fixing or minimizing this without disassembly and installing a new valve.? I do try to warm the instrument before playing. (This was my first foray into harp maintenance. I used the repair kit from AlibabaExpresss (Benge 12 piece repair kit). But tried to use existing valves that had come unglued or were slightly bent and lifting off the reed plate. - @Ren_de

2 Likes

Hi @Ren_de

I am pretty sure that there is nothing that will be satisfying besides replacing that valve with a new one.

I have never had luck with chromatics and finally decided to get the Seydel NONSLIDER chromatic (no slide and no valves). Not a solution that experienced chromatic players would probably select, but for me it was best.

Regards,
Slim :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip, @Slim! I will check out the Seydel option (I am also interested in the Easttop Forerunner 2… no valves but has a slider… )

3 Likes

This (the Easttop) is an option that would possibly appeal more to people who are more accustomed to using a slide. The Seydel Nonslider does have some disadvantages compared to the use of a slider, but it is very air tight compared to a harp with a slider.

3 Likes

What would be the advantages / disadvantages or the non-slider Seydel compared to the EastTop valve-less Forerunner 2. Would the C version have a note layout like the 16 hole EastTop Chromatic? Thanks @Slim Are the prices similar?

2 Likes

Hi @Ren_de

I have never used any of the EastTop chromatics. The 16 hole EastTop has the same note layout as the 12 hole model (just the lowest octave is not present). This is also the case for the note layout of the Nonslider with “solo” tuning, but not for the model with “orchestra” tuning.

You can find the Forerunner 2.0 for 56,99 € (on amazon.de). The Seydel Nonslider is significantly more expensive: 209,95 €.

Advantages of the Nonslider:

• Less chance for air leaks (because there is no slider)
  • Less potential maintenance problems (also because there is no slider)
  • Potentially longer reed life because of the stainless steel reeds
  • Draw bends and overblows are possible (usually very important for those coming from ten hole Richter tuned blues harps) → EDIT: I now see that with the Forerunner this is also possible
  • Available in multiple low keys: LC, LD, LE, LF, as well as G, A, Bb, C and D
  • It is possible to play “hands free” with an appropriate holder/rack

Disavanages of the Nonslider:

• Takes some getting used to not having a slider (for those coming from traditional chromatics)
  • Fast note alternations that a slider makes possible are not (at least for me) as fast

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

2 Likes