A way to SEE sound

Here is a youtube I think will make you look at sound differently.Forming Shapes in Sand using Vibrations Frequencies - YouTube.

You might have to copy and paste it.

3 Likes

Thanks Ingog quite interesting but why do some patterns have 8 peaks while others have 10?

Robert

1 Like

I’m trying to remember my physics from the general science course I taught but my guess is that all notes don’t make clean patterns. I d guess they have different patterns. If you have ever seen the wave pattern when some one sprinkles iron filing on a surface over a magnet you get these kind of concentric semi circles. The filing are accumulating at peaks and valleys even though there are weaker magnetic fields in between that we can “see”. I suspect that the sound patterns that are left by the particles only represent parts of the sound. The places were there are no particles I imagine still have vibrations but they don’t reside in the weaker areas. I would like to see if some person much smarter than me could project the sound instead of similar size particle but rather particles with different masses and we might see a more complex pattern. Better yet do it digitally programming different strength wave energies in different colors. For all I know maybe it has already been done. Maybe a simpler answer would have been……… I don’t know.

2 Likes

Ingog - that’s for trying to explain this.

Robert

PS: where are you from?

I was born in Coney Island Hospital in Brooklyn, New York, USA. I’ve spent the rest of my life living very near the ocean or the sound on Long Island.

1 Like

This is so COOL!!! I would call this “Sandy-Sound art”. Thanks for sharing this.

2 Likes