Advice on first chromatic

Christmas is coming and my family wants ideas. I have a few harps… couple of Golden Melodies, two crossovers, special 20, etc. A chromatic isn’t at the top of my list, but I’d like to try one. What do you recommend and why?

2 Likes

Hello @DukeSilver, yes Christmas is coming… :grin:.
I also recommend the Easttop T10-40 in C to start with. It has a good price, fits well in the hands and on the mouth, and the latch is easy to use without making any noise (with a little practice). Despite the repair, I was not satisfied with the Chromatic Seydel Chromatica 270/48 C-Deluxe and returned it. It is called a bestseller, but I found the valves to be too bad. You can get the Easttop almost everywhere at a fair price. I also find them visually very beautiful.
Regards from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:. Ho, ho, ho :santa::christmas_tree::deer:

Hey @DukeSilver my chromatic brand recommendations are here:

1 Like

Astrid and/or Luke - I’m now an intermediate diatonic harp player. How difficult would it be for me to learn chromatic (I have an Eastop T10-40). Any videos you’d recommend?
Thanks and season’s greetings.
Robert :maple_leaf:

3 Likes

Hello @robertchartrand2104,
Congratulations on your Easttop T10-40! You have made a good choice.
I occasionally play the same harp and found switching to the diatonic harp easy. Of course you shouldn’t play blues with it, that means there are genres where the chromatic is suitable and others where you should stick with the diatonic.
If you type “chromatic harp tabs” into the search bar on YouTube, there will always be hits for songs. Otherwise, it’s YOUR hard work to find out!

I wish you and everyone a nice Christmas holiday.

Best Regards from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

1 Like

@robertchartrand2104,
I forgot something very important.
What counts for the diatonic harp is even more important for the chromatic harp:
Always start slowly and warm the harp to hand warmth first!
Never play the harp when it is cold!
Ensure good ventilation with the holes facing downwards after play.
If the slider no longer works easily, put a few drops of water on the outer part of the slider, then move the slider back and forth several times.
NEVER use oil! Stay away from the reeds, it’s not a diatonic harp!

If you follow this, you will enjoy your harp for a long time. :grin:

1 Like

@robertchartrand2104 sorry I’m not a chromatic guy. If you’re wanting to learn Blues stuff on chromatic, David Barrett has some lessons devoted to chromatic. If jazz stuff, maybe check out Flip Jars website?

1 Like

A belated thanks to Astrid and Luc for your fabulous advice,

2 Likes