Beginner To Boss questions

I am currently enrolled in the course. I realize that the course can not teach decades of experience nor make me sound like Popper in a month. With the lessons taught and finally completing the course, what is a realistic result? What I mean is, after the course, what would a student of the course sound like or have the knowledge to do? Just like a guitarist who completed a beginner course would not sound like Mark Knofler or Eric Clapton, but could still play a guitar, what ability might one have after the B2B course? What would it sound like?

2 Likes

I would say that the answer to this depends upon various, and important, factors: the student’s motivation, dedication, “natural talent”, and more. In other words, it’s essentially impossible to give an accurate answer.

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

4 Likes

That makes sense. Therefore, the course provides a foundation but each student will be different simply due to style, their own way of doing things, etc. Got it, thank you for the reply.

4 Likes

Hello @BlindFarmer,

without any prior knowledge of the harp, you can go to kindergarten. :smiley:

In the middle of the course, you can use the basics, you will be trained. At the end, if you are well qualified, you can go to secondary school :children_crossing:.
You then have the status “intermediate beginner” :woman_shrugging::wink::rofl:.

Astrid wishes you happy harping :woman_in_lotus_position:

3 Likes

Thank you for the reply. This is fun.

4 Likes

You most likely learned much more than you think. I plan to go through it twice. Sorta like watching a very good movie like The Client for the second time. You don’t know how much you missed the first go around but after a second viewing it all starts to make sense.

I never achieved anything easy except golf, which wound up with a spine surgery after two years. I am no genius and the only way I ever achieved anything was to never give up. If it were easy everyone would be an all star. I can guaranty you there is not a major league player that did not have to put in a tremendous amount of effort to get where they are nor were there times they thought about another career.

You have got to be as good as one of the better players that has made it in this world. Stick with it. That was my feeling about getting through college and it worked. Books are not my way of learning. Doing and learning from mistakes are the best way for me to learn. Those two years in the eighth grade sucked. I hated school but it beat construction and installing plumbing in new houses during a Texas summer. Hang in there.

5 Likes

So absolutely true, @scott4 ! :100:

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

4 Likes

I very much agree. natural talent is a big factor but not an absolute. Diaphragm control is a big factor that can be learned but some people have it out of the box. Same can be said for tone and pitch recognition. Practice and never give up.

Right now single note isolation is what I need to get down as music is new to me. It seems to be the most difficult aspect for me but its improving. Playing the songs I know and placing one I pod ear piece in and leaving the other out really helps with the beats. I am not a book guy and have no plans to really learn all the theory, only play what I like by practice and learning from my mistakes. Luke’s coarse is helpful to get me started but like any sport you may play practice may not make a major league player but it will get you to a level you can be proud of. If I put out a can on the street and had a quarter two hours later I could care less. Just want to learn to play some music and relax. All the football, baseball and other related sports are gone forever. Its time to move on.

4 Likes

Yes @scott4,
I just have to laugh when I think about my beginnings on the harp! It sounds like it’s been decades. No, it’s not even two years.

I had a lot of trouble playing single notes. Then it worked with my first two identical harps (C and G).
Bought another new model, big problems again. This model had other even smaller hole spacings, again problems. Next model large hole spacing, problems again :woman_shrugging::rofl:. It went like this for a few weeks!
Suddenly it went “bang” and the knot had burst :blush:. Anyway, I can slide or jump between notes from bottom to top and back. I hit the notes on my now numerous models.

The magic words are relaxation, patience and practice! Practice without exaggeration, a little every day and not for hours! Your little previously unknown muscles and lips have to get used to it first!

Also helps adjust your salivation!

On that note, happy harping!

Best regards from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

2 Likes

I am about seven weeks into the harp and play a couple of hours a day. I am getting more consistent and playing the same few songs that force you to go all around the harp have helped. The one ear I Pod approach has helped me the most while practicing. Sliding the harp over and over helps. Here is my theory about how picking something like the harmonica up goes.

1 At the onset your wife leaves when you start playing.
2 Your get a little better and she only closes the door.
3 As you further improve she learns to tune you out.
4 She can now recognize what song you are trying to play.

After I ever progress any further I like you know.

Keep Well

Scott

Scott

5 Likes

Good stuff @scott4 - Rock on! :sunglasses:

2 Likes