Bending practice and chromaticism

Hi Harpisti,

Here is another little practice exercise that allows you to not only work on your bending skills and accuracy, but it also shows us a sort of interesting little riff that makes use of chromaticism. It will work on any key Richter harp and the tabs look like this (play it with a swing feel):

-4-4' +4-3/// Z

-3-3' -3"-2/// z (-1)-2"/ -2'-2/

Playing notes: the -3/// and -2/// mean that you hold the -3 and the -2 for a while (you can do a “hand-wa” while holding them, if you want to do that). The (-1) means that this starts “off beat” – that is, it starts on the “and” when you count your beats like this: “one and two and three and … (etc)” while the following -2"/ is played on the “one” beat and is held for that beat. A big Z means to pause for one beat. A small z means to pause for a half-beat.

Begin this slowly (use a metronome – like this online one – at, for example, 60 bpm or whatever you can do without error. Gradually increase speed as you master each speed level.

If you do this exercise regularly, you will find that your bending at the lower end will improve and become more “automatic” (your “muscle memory”) and also more accurate (temporally and tonally). You can use your tongue to articulate the notes or you can use “glottal closure” to achieve a similar effect.

Let me know how this works for you.

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Wow. Thanks. I needed something like this. I have only just mastered the 2draw. So now I can try this. Thanks Slim.

4 Likes

You are very welcome, @toogdog !! If you liked this exercise then I think that this other one of my exercises will also appeal to you. Check it out. :point_left: :musical_note: :notes:

Regards,

3 Likes

Slim would be great if you could attach a brief demo vid.

Thanks and regards,

Robert

3 Likes

Hi Robert @robertchartrand2104

Sorry, but I am not talented enough to make a video. I have attempted but the results (especially the tone quality) left much to be desired. If I ever get the video skills needed then I will do so.

Regards,
– Slim :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks @Slim! LOVE IT. Lot’s of fun. Happy little ditty. Perfect for working on those challenge -3 bends!

Mahalo,
Luke🏝

3 Likes

Hi Luke @Luke and Robert @robertchartrand2104

Glad you guys liked that. I think I may have discovered how to do a youtube video and hope to have one on this exercise in the next day or two. Cross your fingers. :crossed_fingers:

Regards and Good Night (I have an early Doctor’s appointment tomorrow),

2 Likes

Hi Robert @robertchartrand2104, Luke @Luke, Astrid @AstridHandbikebee63, Nita @toogdog, @Vibe, @Dave_Dunn and @RollyJoe

The brief demo vid has been posted on youtube! :partying_face: I hope that it is not too disappointing … I have included an additional bar of “chromaticism” at the end of the video (but it is only as tabs – I did not record it).

Please, let me know how you like it (or how I could improve future videos). :point_left:

Regards,

4 Likes

@Slim, :+1:,
that turned out really well. I can follow it mentally and the quality of the recording turned out great. More like that, you get my like for it.
Thank you for your idea! :clap:

2 Likes

Vielen Dank, Astrid @AstridHandbikebee63 !! :blush:

Thank you very much, Astrid @AstridHandbikebee63 !! :blush:

Ciao

3 Likes

Yep, that’s exactly how I played it when you first posted the tabs!

Great little ditty for practicing the difficult -3 bends! Thanks again!

4 Likes

The video was perfect @Slim , you’ve made it very simple to follow, and it’s very apparent how to do the exercise.
I can’t do it yet, but if I follow the video, I know I’ll master it, well done! Thank you! :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

3 Likes

Thank you @Dave_Dunn and Luke @Luke !!

Regards,

3 Likes

Thank you @Slim for uploading a video :slight_smile:

I will definitely try it out when I get over my procrastination (these days I’ve mostly been improvising)

3 Likes

@Slim :clap: :clap: :clap: That’s awesome. Above my paygrade for now but I should work it in when I’m between practice.
Congrats and thanks for posting!

3 Likes

Thank you very much @RollyJoe !! As you progress with the harp you will eventually be able to not only play this bending exercise, but much more complicated things as well !!

Regards,

2 Likes