Bending while Tongue-Blocking

Hi Am very much a beginner on a diatonic C. Am struggling with bending and tongue blocking. Am practicing on the 4 -. My question is do you lift the tongue or drop it while keeping it attached to the harmonica ?

3 Likes

Hey @Ken1 welcome to the forum! I’m so glad that you’ve started this as a new thread. I was just mentioning to @davidkachalon that bending, especially quickly with precision is much more challenging to learn while tongue-blocking.

but it can be done!

The front of your tongue is on the comb of the harmonica. Raise the back of your tongue against the roof of the mouth. This takes time, but you’ll get it with practice!

5 Likes

Hi Luke,
Appreciate the feedback. Have not being doing this for long but am determined to make it happen. I also need to up grade from from a Silverstar to a Pro harp ms or special 20 C. Thanks for all advice / you tube clips etc. Really has helped me getting to where I am today.

3 Likes

Another question for you, same topic. How do you breathe when tongue blocking ? Am trying to work up and down 1-10 and back only playing single notes but am finding I have to pause half way to take a breath.

1 Like

Have you not been using your nose to assist with breathing?? It’s not there just to be picked… :laughing:

3 Likes

Hey Slim ! Thanks for this amazing piece of advice. Would never have thought of it :grin:

2 Likes

OMG @Slim…! :scream: :smile:

2 Likes

@Ken1 yes you will appreciate a better harp for sure!!

YES, the NOSE is the secret weapon to playing harmonica, ESPECIALLY pre-war tongue blocking styles!

Rock on! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Well looky there! @davidkachalon just posted on the subject!

2 Likes

@Luke
Finally getting the breathing right.
Diaphragm is also getting practiced

1 Like