Blues music

Any suggestions for modernish blues harp music I can listen to.

2 Likes

I’m a big fan of John Nemeth.

3 Likes

Cheers. Will check him out. Thanks

2 Likes

Amazing!!

I love their style and sound… And, of course, the harmonica is incredible!!

Thanks for sharing

2 Likes

Hey Ditch @DitchParrot

Sounds like John had the wrong harp for the first chorus of his solo (note his and the base player’s reactions and pay attention to how he is out of tune for several of the bars). He then smoothly switched to the correct one and took off !! :partying_face:

If you like his harp playing then you might also like Ronnie Shellist as well.

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

1 Like

Man, I think you’re right about that, Slim! It was cool to watch it with that as the focus. The bass player had a really odd look on his face when Nemeth started out and seemed to be subtly shaking his head in a “No, that’s not it” gesture.

2 Likes

For anyone who’d like to see more of Nemeth, the production quality of this album-release session is really good. He now has a very young guitar-picker who can really play. I read that the kid was 19 when Nemeth brought him on board a couple years ago.

2 Likes

It can happen to the best of them – just keep playing as best as you can and then change to the correct harp ASAP or cut your solo short.

It happened to me last summer at a birthday party jam in Germany. The guitarist was someone I had never met. He wanted to play St. James Infirmary and I told him to play it in E (because I only had an A harp in my pocket, and an A harp in 2nd position gives you the right harp for a blues in E).

Well, in German the letter E is pronounced just like the letter A in English. I guess he noticed my American accent and thought I meant to play it in A !!

It only took a few bars of me playing in the wrong key (E) and then it registered in my few remaining little brain cells that this way the wrong key. Fortunately I recognized the (simple) solution: start playing in 1st position!

I’m not so great or comfortable playing in 1st position, but it went amazingly well and we received a rousing reception from the guests! Happy ending!! :partying_face:

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

2 Likes