Breathing Troubles

Hello, I would really appreciate some help

I am practicing my Diaphragm breathing. But normal breathing, Diaphragm breathing. I always run out of breath about hole 5 draw on the C Scale. I find myself trying to force sound through and i can hear the effort i am putting into the Harmonica.

I bought a £5 Harmonica on Amazon, i thought, cheap and cheerful would be the best way to start, is the problem the quality of the harmonica?

The longest I can hold a single note for, is around 45 seconds on hole 4 on Blow, and about 35-40 seconds on the draw.

I have a sound recording of me playing, I can post if anyone would find it useful. I listened to it, you can hear the blowing and drawing effort.

Thank you for reading :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi @SaucyGibb0n

Without actually hearing you play, I can only suppose (based on your description) that cheap harp might be the culprit. If you are really serious about learning to play the harmonica then it is well worth buying something better – e.g. a Hohner Special 20 or a Hohner Blues Harp, both of which are not too expensive but are still played by some really good professionals.

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi @Slim

Thank you for your response, I have a Dropbox link to the recording, if the forum is ok with such posts. I tried Vimeo, youtube, neither would allow a 3 second clip haha

If the link is not allowed to be posted on the forum, would you consent to a DM with the link?

1 Like

And what is a DM?

– Slim

1 Like

Direct Message, just checked, no way to do it haha

Is a link here ok?

1 Like

As far as I know there should be no problem. But I’m probably not the person to be asking …

– Slim

1 Like

thanks @Slim

here is the link Dropbox - harmonica.mp3 - Simplify your life

2 Likes

@SaucyGibb0n OMG… Take it apart and gap it or throw it away. Is that harsh? Wasn’t intended. Make sure your lips are making a good seal on the cover.

BTW… I’m a beginner

2 Likes

Hi @SaucyGibb0n

I sorry to say that I agree with the conclusion @rich3 came to: it sounds like a harp that it is not even worth spending the time to take it apart and to adjust the reeds and emboss the reed slots. But it is also very important to be sure that your lips are making an airtight seal on the cover and not letting air slip by at the corners of your lips or anywhere that your lips touch the harp !!

Regards and good luck with a better harp,
– Slim :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hello @Saucygibbon,
I agree @Slim! To me it sounds like the beginnings of me in the first few weeks.
I was pulling and blowing too hard, the wrong mouth position and I was way too tight in the lips and upper body.
I wanted everything too fast! Have tried for hours! Of course that didn’t work! When I recognized my mistakes step by step, I practiced the individual tones for just a few minutes a day, also to train the numerous small, unknown muscles and my breathing.
At the same time, I started @Luke’s BTB course without any time pressure and lo and behold, it got better and better! Remember the first commandment “Relax”, by the way patience, patience, patience!

Welcome at our place!

Regards Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

3 Likes

thanks bud :slight_smile:

3 Likes

thanks for the advise :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum @SaucyGibb0n!

Yeah, as soon as I saw 5 pound harp I’m like, “well THAT don’t sound good!” :rofl:

If you’re on a super-tight budget, check this out:

3 Likes