Checking the slide mechanism of chrom

Hi there. A long-time musician, I am eager to buying and learning a chromatic harp. I have been told that the hardest-to-deal-with mechanical problem on the chromatic, apart from the valves, is a sticky slide mechanism. How can I prevent buying a harp with a mechanism that might become defective over time, even when used correctly? Is there one magic slide system that always does its job, or does it require an expert eye to spot a badly constructed harp?
Thanks in advance

1 Like

I have three chromatics - a Swan and two Hohners. On all of them, the sticky slide problem is due to dry saliva. Try blowing up and down the harmonica without using the slide and then try (gentle) pressure on the slide. This might take a while! I find I have less issues if I put the the chromatic somewhere warm and dry for a while after I’ve finished playing - but occasionally give the slide a push while its all drying out. Next time it will be much less likely to be stuck!

Hope that helps

Cheeers
Maka

2 Likes

Hello @Mr_Magic,
welcome to our forum.
I occasionally use a chromatic Hohner. Occasionally, because I specifically started playing the harp in September and the focus is on the diatonic harps.
Otherwise I do it like @Maka on the chromatic harp and it works. In the longer term, the recommendations suggest that more focus on disassembly and internal maintenance is required to make it play well. I think that here, too, you will develop a feel for it and gain experience.
But that’s just my theoretical knowledge at the moment.
Greetings from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

2 Likes

Hi Maka, thanks for commenting. I am actually looking at a Hohner myself, so I guess (hope lol) any slide problems on that will be fixable with something similar.
Cheers, Numa

1 Like

Hello Astrid! thanks for the advice, I will use it when I get my hands on one.
Cheers, Numa

1 Like

What kind of Hohner are you lookin at? If it’s not out of your price range I would also consider the Suzuki SCX-48. It’s a REALLY WELL CONSTRUCTED harmonica. I’ve had mine for years and never an issue with the slide.

2 Likes