Circular Breathing

OK . . . anybody ever even hear of such a thing or how it’s even done ? ? ? I have watched several of this gal’s video’s and she quite the harp player!

3 Likes

Cicular breathing is a method used fairly often by jazz horn players. It may have started earlier but I know that Dizzie Gillespie used it back in the 1950s or earlier.

3 Likes

Yeah so the basic idea is you get fill your mouth up with air and then blow air from mouth only while breathing in through nose to refill lungs. I have friends who play horn who do it. I’ve never really tried it myself.

Would be easiest to do on higher notes as they don’t require as much air to activate reeds as lower notes do.

Rock on,
Luke

4 Likes

Is a new move (to me anyway) so tried it just breathing. No harmonica involved and appears to take abit of practice and coordination. Not sure if it’s really necessary on the harmonica tho . . .

2 Likes

It can be a crowd-thriller to hold one note for a really long time at the right moment, if the rhythm section is really kicking ass. So circular breathing could stretch that moment longer. But I’ve never bothered to learn it…

1 Like

Circular breathing has been in use for about 65,000 years! The world’s oldest existing indigenous culture - the Australian aborigine - has been using circular breathing for didgeridoo playing forever. Here’s an explanation How to Play Didgeridoo - Circular Breathing Intro - YouTube

Cheers
Maka

3 Likes