Clean 2 hole draw (not bent)

Hi there, just wondering if there are any lessons/videos or posts on getting a good clean 2 hole draw (not bent)?
What advice/tips have you got?
Thank you
Tom

4 Likes

Hi Tom @tom2340

The method is actually no different than what is used for any unbent draw hole on the blues harp: tongue position, harp position deep into the mouth, throat relaxed, etc. :point_left:

If that does not work then the reed for the 2 draw is probably bent, damaged, or not straight in its slot and rubbing or catching the side of its slot, or the gap at the reed’s free end is either too small or too large. :face_with_monocle: To check these you must disassemble the harp.

There are various posts here on the forum from myself and others regarding reed gapping and alignment, should that be the problem.

What make and model blues harp is it?

Regards,
– Slim

2 Likes

Hi Tom
The 2 draw is a real awkward one - apparently it’s the way it’s set up and the length. Unlikely that there’s anything wrong with it. I bought an A harp and had the same problem at first - 2 draw bends with no effort at all. You have to keep your mouth shape and against the harp, tounge flat - no hint of trying to bend. If you search for 2 draw problems there are a couple of good videos on it. Worked for me.
Good luck.
Bill

3 Likes

As with most things harmonica, minimum effort is the key - try and play the -2 as quietly as you can. That will certainly help if the issue is you are bending the -2 when you’re trying to play it ‘straight’. It will improve your technique for lots of other things too!

The -2 is often the problem note for beginners, but once you get it to work ‘gently’ you can’t figure out why it was ever a problem!

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum @billyb1952. It’s nice to see someones’ first post helping someone else! You’re going to fit in here nicely. :smiley:

3 Likes

Hello @tom2340,
-2 needs special caresses. I also had problems getting a good sound in the first few weeks. Why? I played like the other notes, too hard, too loud, without sensitivity. What @billyb1952 writes is correct! Welcome to us @billyb1952. It’s rarely the harp. I had the problem with 2 out of 5 harps and they were innocent. Don’t give up and find the right tone with patience and relaxation. Greetings from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

2 Likes

Hey @billyb1952 thank you so much for your input here, and welcome to the forum my friend!

Rock on,
Luke

2 Likes

Everybody’s advice here is spot on.

Rarely it’s the harp. Almost always it’s the mouth position and/or drawing too hard. Gentle and relaxed is the key.

Make sure top lip is deep over the top cover plate.

Drop the jaw. No tension. Just let it hang down so the teeth are far apart. Back of tongue down like when we yawn in a vowel shape like “aaahhhh”

That should do it.

Oh, well that and: practice, practice, practice.

Just keep playing with it. It will come together for you. We’ve all been there!

Aloha,
Luke

4 Likes

Don’t understand why the 2 draw is so much harder (I can hear air) than -1 or -3.(BTW I’m a newbie)

2 Likes

Hi @rich3

If you hear air but the musical note comes with a “delay” (compared to what you get using the same amount of force & air in the two adjacent holes) then the reed gap is too large.

There are several posts in this forum describing what you need to do.

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

4 Likes

@Slim THANKS for the help and quick reply. Once I opened the Oskar up the gap problem was obvious. So now after a week of learning to play this cool instrument, I can see that maintenance is easy. Love the way the Lee Oskar is made so this task is easy as is assembly with good seal. I also know where my mustache is getting caught and the natural leak on the cover end fold. Problem solved.

4 Likes

RIGHT ON! Thanks @Slim for helping @rich3 stay in the fast lane. I LOVE THIS! :raised_hands:t3::notes::sunglasses:

This is what forums are all about!

2 Likes