Cleaning a harp with a plastic comb

I ask a very well good player how best to clean a harp. Most people told me warm water which does work. The fellow I spoke with uses alcohol. I tried it and just dipped mine in for a few seconds. It was a very effective way and the harp dry in a few seconds after tapping out what I could. To all what’s your preferred method?

4 Likes

Hi Scott,

I have an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner that I use: warm water and 2-3 drops of dishwashing detergent. These devices are pretty cheap to buy (typically around 20 U$).

Most of the time I remove the cover plates and also the reed plates from the comb (although that usually is not necessary unless everything is really gummed up). Run it for 3-5 minutes, then rinse everything under warm running water and let dry.

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

4 Likes

For daily use, I hate to say it but this is my technique :point_down:

When things start getting gunky though beyond a “spit shine”, I take it apart and clean it with alcohol and a cotton swab, which get most parts.

Between the reeds, I just make sure they are plucking well and remove any debris.

I like @Slim 's idea of an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner :trophy:

3 Likes

I do it just like @Slim. I already had the device when I started playing the harp. I have also been using it for my sports, reading and distance glasses, and earrings for a long time.

Maybe one day I will have “replacement teeth” that will also be used occasionally :rofl:.

2 Likes

Do you take off your cover plates when submerging? Before I used alcohol, then water on the harp. Can’t remember if I had covers on or off.

1 Like

My method for cleaning my harmonicas is with cleaning them using warm water and some dish soap. I play with plastic combed harps, so it’s easy for cleaning out the dried siliva in the holes of the harp and not take the reed plates off the comb.
Todd Parrott, a good friend of mine, has done a video regarding this subject. Feel free to check it out.

3 Likes

Hello @ladreyer503 ,

with plastic harps, I only remove the cover plates if a reed gets stuck. I had to open the harp before cleaning anyway.
With wooden harps, I use warm running water and possibly my Seydel disinfection bag. This works with blue light and without water and is supposed to have a disinfecting effect.
In any case, the harp smells very pleasantly clean afterwards.

Regards Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

3 Likes

Okay good to hear. I think one of my reeds is stuck but not sure.

1 Like

About every 3 months I completely disassemble all of my harmonicas. I soak them in a little vinegar and a few drops of dish soap. I carefully brush with a toothbrush and rinse and dry throughly. I’ve had most of them for at least 3 + years. The wooden combs i wash and dry quickly. As long as they are sealed. Also after an illness.

3 Likes

I do not take off the cover plates. Sometimes I use warm water with a bit of soap with warm water but with alcohol its dries very fast and by the time I get back to my room its ready to play. Both seem to work, especially if I run the harp under a blow dryer on low to speed up the water clean up. Harps seem to like warmer temperature. Bends are easier for me if the harp is warm and the notes, especially draws, very easy to play. When I lightly blow into the harp without any contact the reeds sound on both draw and blow. I can get away with either method as I live in a very dry environment as far as humidity is concerned. Only time the harp is a bit tougher to play if its damp and cool outside

2 Likes

I like the jewelry cleaner method myself!

4 Likes

No I leave them on unless i need to do some reed work.

2 Likes

I use alcohol and dip the harps in it for about ten seconds. The alcohol does dry very fast and I can be playing within 20 seconds after I tap the harp out. I have used a bit of soap and warm water but it took longer unless a hair dryer was used to speed up the drying and warm the harp. Only problem with alcohol is it cleans the plates so well my lips sometimes grab them. Need some lube as i live in a very dry climate. I was surprised on how much better a clean harp that is warm plays and bending easier.

Scott

2 Likes

I do not remove them unless a reed gap needs correcting. If I do I use a soft toothbrush to clean the plates and inside the plates. Grim does accumulate along the inner portion of my plates as I use a lip balm. When I do remove the plates and the harp cleaned well, including plinking the reeds to make sure all the unwanted stuff is removed. I was amazed how often a small deposit got under the reeds and it really makes playing a challenge. I lightly blow dry the harp with a hair drier or set the harp out side when we have no humidity and warm weather. It was 106 F today and after a two minute sun bath the harp plays so much better. Bends are also easier to play as well. I have come to the conclusion harps dislike being cold , especially if its cold out.

4 Likes

I disassemble mine for a major clean I clean them in isopropanol,and gently brush the reed plates and comb with an old tooth brush I also have a tiny spray bottle that I carry around with me to spray right after I’ve played, that keep em squeaky clean.

2 Likes

I do as well and it sure requires less effort and helps the harp play well. I used to soak them in water with a bit of soap but his takes more time and is less effective. I met Buddy Greene when he was in town and ask him how he cleans his harps and alcohol was what he uses, a tip I really appreciate.

Scott

2 Likes

Thanks Slim , that sounds like a great idea for cleaning these bad boys !

2 Likes