David Bowie Shreds Harmonica

Check out David Bowie shredding some nasty harmonica at the beginning of his song “Jean Genie” from a 2003 performance on his Reality Tour.

@toogdog turned me onto this performance. I didn’t even know David Bowie played harmonica! But like @toogdog I appreciate Bowie as a true artist who expressed himself in so many unique ways.

The beginning riff here is reminiscent of The Doors’ “Roadhouse Blues”.

Here are the tabs:

-12 -23 34 -23

He plays :point_up_2: that riff 4 times before starting to bend on the -4 -4’ -4 -4’

:question: My Takeaways from Bowie’s Performance?

:one: Playing distorted makes everything sound badass. Let me show you the difference between acoustic and amplified in this vid.

:two: The main riff here is just draw draw-blow-draw. He does bend -4’ but mostly it’s that riff. Once again, you don’t have to be complicated to be awesome.

6 Likes

Hi Like, just watched the Vid. thanks. Are you using some sort of Bluetooth jobby (I have something similar for my guitar) on your microphone or can I just not see the cable?

Thanks aforehand.

4 Likes

Hello @Eolas,
no cable to be seen. :woman_shrugging::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi Astrid, so Luke‘s either bluffing (I know, he’s not :wink:) or he’s got some sort of wireless jobby on the go.

2 Likes

Yeah, this jobby:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/WL20--boss-wl-20-digital-wireless-guitar-system-with-cable-tone-simulation

1 Like

Thank you :pray:

2 Likes