Deep mouth position

So I’m trying really hard to get the deep mouth position down…with that being said I can’t get it when I hold my harmonica in my left hand only in my right. Will this become a problem in the future or is it acceptable to hold your harmonica with your right hand? Thanks for the feedback :call_me_hand::call_me_hand:

1 Like

Hello, I can’t imagine a problem with a DIATONIC harp. Switching sides on a guitar is complicated. The exception would be if you ever wanted to play a CHROMATIC harp. This has the lever on the right side. Just try it out! Many greetings from Astrid

1 Like

Hi @dwoolverton8823 and Astrid @AstridHandbikebee63,

There is absolutely no problem with the typical diatonic harp. However, as Astrid mentioned, the chromatic harmonica with a slide does pose a problem. Fortunately it is possible (at least on some models, but I cannot say all) to disassemble the chromatic harp and switch the slide around so that when you have put it back together again the slide is on the other end of the harp.

Seydel makes a chromatic harp with stainless steel reeds that has no slide at all. :astonished: It is called the Nonslider Chromatic. Sadly the price is quite high (ca. 300 US $), otherwise I would already have one. :roll_eyes:

Regards,
– Slim

1 Like

Thank you both! As of right now I’m just working with the standard diatonic. I don’t know of if I’ll use a chromatic down the line or not I just didn’t want to develop a bad habit lol

4 Likes

I saw one video where a guy deftly moved the harmonica around in a circle, playing it from all angles. Right side up, upside down, up and down, and all around.

Someone else, I think maybe in this forum, said they got used to playing the harp upside down. I tried it and sure enough on the most basic of songs, after a few go’s at it, playing the harp upside down is exactly the same, but different! :upside_down_face:

On another video, I saw a guy saying only play harmonica with two hands and not just one. @Luke and I both agree this would cut into a good part of what we play.

I’d say, right hand, left hand, and even no hands works just dandy on the harmonica…

I’ve even tried playing it vertically rather than horizontally, that works too, but rather difficult to do deep mouth position, unless you have a huge mouth lol :rofl:

It’s an incredible instrument no matter how we play!

:notes:

2 Likes

Yes you’re getting great advice here. No worries about left or right hand. I imagine over time you’ll be able to play with either. I wouldn’t worry about those chromatic harmonicas. Those are for nerds. :wink:

Rock on,
Luke

3 Likes

I experience the same when my upperlip is covering all of the coverplate. I am thinking that is just too much and overdoing it. So what I try now is that my upperlip is about 2/3 covering the top coverplate and then 1/3 is in use by my left index finger … just trying.

4 Likes

Hey @Walter - Yup, I agree. That sounds about right!

Rock on,
Luke

3 Likes