Does high altitude affect harmonica performance?

I was at Big Bear, ~7500 ft altitude, yesterday and started to play my Seydel tuned in LowC… The harp seemed “leaky”. It took more air to make the reeds move.
I can understand how the physics would make less dense air, less viscous and change the performance of the reeds .
With all the amazing tunings available out there is there such a thing as a “High altitude C”?
Has anyone else ever noticed this or am I the only crazy person here?

4 Likes

Here is a link to a discussion of this question:

2 Likes

Actually, I was glad to hear you had problems with your LowC.

I have COPD, trouble breathing anyway (on Oxygen 24/7). I have a lot of trouble with enough wind to properly play my LOWC (Lee Oscar). I live about 15 miles east of Colorado Springs, at approximately 6700 ft altitude. No, you are NOT CRAZY, - Or perhaps, we BOTH are.
God Bless You!

3 Likes

Thanks for letting me know I am not the only one. Man! It takes a lot to make that Low C Seydel sing. It’s just too much work. I find myself going back to my Lee Oskar C.
I suppose that exercise is good for me but it is not fun. And isn’t that why they call it “playing”?

4 Likes

It is called learning, practicing, struggling, adjusting. Playing comes only after the first 4!
ha-ha…
God Bless!

3 Likes

I’m only 100m above sea level, but with my Lee Oskar Low D I really feel the extra effort in my sinuses!

I then saw someone write here about the Hohner Rocket Low, so when I decided to try Low C I went for one of those and I do indeed find that it plays easier than my Low D.

I’ve no idea if the effect would be positive or negative at altitude but, here at least, it is different.

3 Likes

@Jeff_Engineer
Interesting observation. My home sits in a mountain canyon at ~6,500 feet. It’s all my harps know, so I’ll be curious to see how difficult it might be to play over say 10,000 feet. If there is a difference, I should notice it.

3 Likes