Dual purpose mic

Hello. I am considering getting some gear finally. is there a good mic that enhances both harmonica playing and singing? I do both. Thanks.

2 Likes

Hello @peg_T,
I rarely sing, but for harp and vocals I’ve been using the Shure SH55 Series II since my first recordings. The microphone is the so-called “Elvis microphone” and I bought it in a bundle (cable and stand). It has an XLR connector.
However, you need a preamplifier for this.

I had previously tested some inexpensive microphones, also with USB, but the quality was very poor.

Regards from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

1 Like

You tube has some reviews of microphones for harps. I love my 50’s style tail light like mic, cardioid, and I recently put a capacitor bleed on it. 0.001 uf. It bleeds off unwanted highs and works great, from mellow to the bellowing of Midnight Rambler and When the Levee Breaks.

You tube has everything.

2 Likes

By the by, I love the Astrid Detective show PBS broadcasts. She is so peculiar, but interesting, though the subtitles don’t do her justice.

3 Likes

Hi @GreenStamps,
Astrid Detective Show? Funny, without me :rofl::wink:.

Regards from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

2 Likes

Looking for a mic that is good for both vocals and harmonica to use on a stage with an amp.

@peg_T - What genre? What do you mean by “enhances”?

Typically when people are talking about a harmonica mic, they’re talking about adding some dirt or grit, which you typically wouldn’t want on a vocal unless you’re going for a Jack White kinda vibe.

For a clean sound on both, I did a review of the Beyeredynamic m160 which I LOVE for clean harmonica and works well for vocals as well (I’ll post a link at the bottom of this post) but I’m pretty sure you’re not wanting to shell out $800!!! :flushed:

But if that’s the sort of thing that you’re wanting, then you might consider the Audix Fireball microphone. Hope that helps!

1 Like

Thanks Luke. I play most genres, rock, blues, country/western, even accompanied a rap artist recently (a first) as far as “enhance” I meant: wishing to both amplify the harmonica and vocals decently with one mic. Most of the time I just use whatever is available on stage, but considering getting my own gear in the future and wondered if there was a mic that worked for both purposes. You are right. $800. Is a bit above my pay grade but sure would be fun to check out. Thank you for the info. Will be checking out that link.

2 Likes

The Ultimate 58 $229 would be another great consideration for you:

https://www.blowsmeaway.com/ultimate.html

2 Likes

Thanks, Luke

2 Likes