Ever think about bending?

Hey All,

Interesting perspective… Can’t say I disagree at all.

How many here are working on single noting melodies or are you basically blues?

-Ed-

2 Likes

Hello @EasyEd,
actually both because I enjoy it. It always depends on my mood and situation.
Greetings from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

2 Likes

Hey All,

Yeah I work on both too but probably single noting an chords more. The bending will come as it did before no rush.

-Ed-

2 Likes

I agree with this 100%. In fact I think most beginners start trying to work on bending before they have any business doing so. Look at all my videos that I’ve put out on YouTube fore Harmonica.com, and NONE of them require bending, but as the affable bloke in this video points out, you can learn 100’s if not 1000’s of songs without ever bending one note.

There is even blues repertoire that you can learn that doesn’t require bending.

I’m gonna put out a video in August that I’m developing showing some great blues riffs that don’t require bending.

You’ve got the right idea, @EasyEd, it will come with time! Rock on! :metal:t3:

2 Likes

I, too, work on single note melodies and chords as well as developing bending and, lately tongue blocking techniques. Like @AstridHandbikebee63 , I just enjoy some simple melodies that are accessible while I learn. And, they can sound great without bends. It has been important to me to enjoy playing whatever I can access with my current skills while trying to increase my abilities. You gotta enjoy yourself!

I like the blues but I’m not a blues fanatic - I also like funk, R&B/neosoul, rock, etc. The more advanced skills (bending/tongue blocking) just give you access to more music (like blues, or at least more authentic sounding music if you want to sound like a pro). That said, it’s really just about enjoying the music you’re making at whatever level you’re at, with whatever skills you have.

BTW, the points in the video applies to tongue blocking too. It’s also good to learn, frustrating to learn, but not essential to learn if the frustration is going to stop you from playing, IMHO.
Keith

3 Likes

Well said Keith! Couldn’t agree more wholeheartedly. Definitely applies to tongue blocking at well. If you’re not having fun, what is the point, right? :sunglasses:

2 Likes