Favorite harp and why

@DukeSilver - I’ve gone big on investing in some Joe Spiers Custom Marine Bands which I bought custom combs from Tod Parrott for.

These sexy babies are as fun to play as they are to look at. Responsive, bendable, great tone. I had him Parrott-tune them for me (-7 down a half-step) and I have taken to really love this tuning. I also had him customize it so I can get all the overblows and overdraws on them.

If there’s anything I can’t do on these harps, I know it’s cos of me and not cos of the harps.

These are customized Marine Bands with Rocket Coverplates. But I also just bought a customized Special20 I had him build for me tuned to C Natural Minor, and it also looks and sounds amazing.

@schulenburgd1 - Welcome to the forum my friend! I have never played the Hohner Meisterklass!

Vids on some other harps mentioned:

3 Likes

@Luke

Nice harps! I won’t ask how much that photo was…

2 Likes

You be you. I love the MB. I have three of them along with other models. Ignore the music snobs. There are snobs in every hobby/profession.

3 Likes

Wow, those are some beautiful harps. I’d like to get one, but I don’t need any more friggin’ harps. I told myself I would not allow myself to buy another until I finished Beginner to Boss, which I’m closing in on. I’m thinking maybe a Rocket Low F, since that would be lower than the G that I currently have, and I haven’t tried a Rocket yet. Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

My favorite is the MB, then the Special 20, then the MB, then the 20, then the … . You get the idea. I go in spurts and love both equally well though they are different.

3 Likes

So far I have three harps

A Fender Blues deluxe in C.
I don’t like this harp much it’s like a toy compared to others. I do, however, keep it in my truck to play in traffic… jam my way through the jam lol

For practice and playing as well as going through the beginner to boss course I got a honer special 20 in C - I like this. It is superior to the blues deluxe

I also have a fender blues deville in A. This so far is my favorite harmonica. It has a different bevel where your lips go - so switching from the honer to the deville takes a few minutes to get the feel and visa versa.

6 Likes

@cloves-fibs0f welcome to the forum my friend! Glad to have ya here.

Yeah I agree with you about the Fender Blues Deluxe. The SP20 BLOWS IT OUT OF THE WATER!

Regarding Blues Deville, being in the key of A though, it’s not really and apples vs apples comparison. You might mostly be digging it because it’s a lower key which can be whole lot of fun, especially when playing alone.

I don’t really feel any difference between the Blues Deville’s and the East Top 008k’s which are like half the price.

I’d prefer a SP20 to any Fender. But that’s just me. This is all personal preference, so don’t be swayed from what you enjoy my friend! Rock on! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I just picked up a Rocket Amp that I’ve had on order for several weeks. Things move slow round here. As @toogdog alluded to in another thread, she lives in the worlds most isolated capital city; I’m 80 Km south of her. One music store in town.
It was worth the wait, I’m loving it. Much like the special 20 but more comfortable to hold in my hand and louder. Also, I think the special 20 is pretty boring to look at whereas the Amp has a bright green comb and a much more attractive (zip up) case. The key label on the Amp is more prominent, so easier to see at a glance. Really like it.

6 Likes