Feedback request - Classy noodling

Hi-

Can I request feedback on my playing? This is literally noodling in a somewhat classy style, and there are some missed notes here and there, but generally speaking I would really appreciate criticism on my playing!

Here is a Google drive link:

Thanks!

7 Likes

Well. I couldnā€™t do that. So for me itā€™s amazing. Iā€™m just starting tongue blocking so I canā€™t be sure but Iā€™m guessing thats how youā€™re doing two things at once near the end.
Well done on all accounts for skill and bravery putting yourself out there.
Iā€™m sorry I canā€™t give you a technical critique but I can say I liked it.

4 Likes

@toogdog

I am learning Whammer Jammer, and even though it is a ridiculous song to learn, there is a lot of interesting techniques in it. Definitely not a beginner song, but worth taking a stab at if you are past the ā€˜I can blow single notesā€™ and ā€˜I can bend!ā€™ stages of playing.

Really opens up the world of tongue blocking - at least for me.

3 Likes

Hello @Dk360,
definitely interesting! You play relatively fluently and only have a few notes where you donā€™t hit the individual notes quite cleanly. But thatā€™s a matter of practice, just like the rhythm.
The intermediate part sounds like J. Straussā€™ ā€œOn the Beautiful Blue Danubeā€? How did you play from 00:36 min.? Thatā€™s actually only possible by recording a second track?

Anyway, I like it and you should definitely continue :blush:!

Regards from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

3 Likes

@AstridHandbikebee63

Thanks - The part at :36 is a tongue blocked octave. Basically block an octave, say 1&4 with holes 2&3 blocked, and bump your tongue back and forth against 2&3 while keeping air on your 1&4 octave holes.

Hopefully that makes senseā€¦

4 Likes

Yes, @Dk360, I know how the tongue block works because I also use it when practicing.
But from then on you play a real melody. Thatā€™s why I came to J. Strauss. I do not understand that.
Did you improvise or are there tabs for it? I would be very interested to see what they look like.
Maybe you can enter them here? Donā€™t be in a hurry either. Thank you very much!

1 Like

@AstridHandbikebee63

Sure - The only part here that is genuinely my own is the part starting at :23 -:30ish. I played brass for years and kind of have classical music ā€œbaked inā€ when I improviseā€¦I made up the melody, but I definitely was heavily influenced by what I have played/heard in the past.

Starting at :23 the tab is some variation of this:

+7 +6 +7 -7 -6 -7 +7 +6 +7 -6 -5 -6 +6 +5 +6 -5 -4 -5

You can start on any hole, although I prefer 7, and just walk this pattern up and down the harp.

Not sure if this is exactly what you were looking for, but let me know.

4 Likes

Hey @Dk360 sounding good my friend. Youā€™re isolating notes well, the tongue blocking stuff sounds good. Keep up the great work!

3 Likes