Fixing Harmonica

I have a harmonica Hohner Piccolo A. It has been playing fine, but recently one of the tones stopped playing. Can this be easily fixed or do I just chuck the harmonica and buy a new one?

Hi @EBTunes

It all depends on what exactly is causing the problem – and the only way for you to discover that is to disassemble the harp and examine closely the problem reed(s).

• Is there dirt present? (relatively easy to correct). :slightly_smiling_face:

• Is a reed hanging on the slot rim because the reed is not aligned properly? (a bit more work and difficulty, but also possible to correct yourself). :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

• Is a reed broken? (not easy too correct and you most likely need to either buy a new reed plate (with the reeds already installed) or buy a new harp). :rage:

Regards,

– Slim :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Thanks, I will try unscrewing the harmonica and will see what I can find.

2 Likes

Luke @Luke has asked me to make a post with some photos that might illustrate my way for cleaning my harps. It will take several days for me to make this since I am going on a little trip for the next couple days.

Stay tuned (pun intended :stuck_out_tongue:)

3 Likes

I have to say, Slim, you are a real asset and treasure for this forum. We are lucky to have you here :pray:

4 Likes

Thank you very much for the kind words, @HorseDoctor :innocent: They are truly and greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

3 Likes