FrankyB Introduction

I have been playing chromatic harmonica for a number of years. Only play a modest number of melodies (e.g Danny Boy, Yesterday.) I am a tongue blocker, only because I could never get the hang of puckering. I use Tabs and have to be familiar with the tune to learn to play it. Once learned I play without the Tabs. I grew up believing I was tone deaf and only realized that I was not, when I recognized I could tell when someone’s singing was off key. So, I am thrilled to be able to play the chromatic harmonica. My current main axe is a Seydel NONSLIDER Orchestra tuned (Key of C) 12 hole . Unlike the regular C NONSLIDER, which has no valves, it has a couple valves on the very lowest holes (have not had any issues with them).

I started with a diatonic, but had difficulty bending notes, so switched to chromatic.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum. Not many chromatic players around here, although there are a few.

I’ve been thinking about getting a NONSLIDER. Are the valves in yours the same type (material) as the valves in the PT Gazell diatonic harps that Seydel sells? They have proven for me to be much less problematic than the typical valves used on chromatic harps that have slides.

Regards,
– Slim

2 Likes

Hi @frankyb. Welcome to the forum.

This is very normal, as the Tabs can tell you about the melody and harmony, but nothing about the rhythm. Without rhythm, it isn’t music. So if you don’t already know the song, you can’t play it from Tab.

Welcome aboard; Enjoy the ride! :grinning:

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation.

2 Likes

Sorry, Slim, I am not familiar with the PT Gazell diatonic harps and do not know what valves they are using. I think there are only a couple of valves on my Orchestra tuned Nonslider and I have had no trouble with them over the 2 months I have had it.

Maybe I will learn something from the diatonic players. Overblows and Bends are possible on the NONSLIDER and I can’t do either.

frankyb

3 Likes

Hi frankyb @frankyb

Yes you can learn to do bends from the diatonic users here, but learning overblows is not so easy to teach/learn simply by writing/reading about it – although it is not impossible. :thinking:

One very important point to observe when draw or blow bending or overblow bending: do not use too much force! Most beginners assume that more force is all that is needed, especially given the (unfortunate) name for overblow bending. WRONG! It should be possible to perform bends using the normal amount of effort and air pressure as when normally playing the harp without bending.

Problems with any bends are – at least for beginners – almost always improper mouth, tongue and harp position as well as not being relaxed while playing. :point_left:

Occassionally the problems are also caused by using a very cheap harp or problems with the reed(s) – but the first place to look for problems that need correction is in the player, not the harp. :face_with_monocle:

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hello @frankyb,
a warm welcome from me, too. I can only agree with the tips of the others as far as bending and co. is concerned. What I find interesting is that you didn’t start with a diatonic harp like the others and I, but with a chromatic harp. I also bought a chromatic Hohner at the same time and play it a bit. Do you have to play a chromatic harp? No, you can. :wink: In the meantime I have learned a lot of technique on my various diatonic harps. The only thing I’m still working on is overblows. That means for me that I will definitely not buy another chromatic. I use different keys and providers of diatonic harps and I’m very flexible. Greetings from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips Slim. I am interesting to see if when playing a melody like “Danny boy” I can use bends to add a little sense of ‘sadness’.

Frank

3 Likes

I would imagine that this is very definitely something you can do. Let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,
– Slim

2 Likes

Thanks for the Welcome Astrid!

I prefer a chromatic harmonica, as I just want to carry one harmonica with me and be able to play it in all the keys I use, without being Howard Levy. :slight_smile:

My Seydel orchestra tuned NONSLIDER chromatic harmonica meets my requirements, with no valves (except for a couple half-valved holes below C4) and no slide. This makes it about as reliable as a diatonic. It also, is capable of bends and overblows, should I decide to learn how to do them. I am also very pleased with its air tightness, sound and volume.

frankyb

3 Likes

Hey @frankyb welcome to the forum my friend! Yes, as @slim already told you, not too many chromatic players around these parts.

I own a chromatic, but I certainly wouldn’t consider myself to be chromatic player.

But welcome to the forum. If you hang around here, you might get tempted to pick up the diatonic again!

Aloha,
Luke

3 Likes

Thanks for the welcome Luke! My NONSLIDER is a chromatic, but it has some of the characteristics of a diatonic. So at least I am partway there. :slight_smile:

frankyb

3 Likes