Good harp mike?

Hey any one have any advice for a good harp mike?

Thanks

2 Likes

Hello @ewillustration,
as with the Harps, such recommendations are also relative.
I use a Shure SH55 for normal sound (also suitable for vocals and keyboard) and SE Electronics Harp Blaster HB52 as a pure harp microphone. The harp microphone makes recordings sound old and “snotty”. Both are wired to an amplifier through an XLR connection and I am very satisfied. I previously tried using various microphones in the lower price range via a USB connection, but that didn’t work. You have to gain experience and see what suits you and the components best.

Regards from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

2 Likes

Appreciate it!!

1 Like

A lot seems to depend on how loudly you play. I don’t play with that much volume and I’ve been using a 1937 Astatic shell that I took from a wire recorder with a 1949 Shure CR black label element for traditional Chicago blues. It seems to work well for the old stuff. I have an Electro-Voice 638, (omnidirectional dynamic) which is good for vocals, and for playing, sharper, and louder blues harmonica, like junior Wells. My third mic is a Shure 585 V with volume control. The player who gave it to me played some large venues and paired the mic with a 100w Bassman head and two 6 x 12” speaker cabinets. As you can imagine, it can generate a lot of sound. And this was his mic for vocal and harmonica. I’m not sure what the availability is wherever you’re located. Good luck.

1 Like

My current favorite is the Jason Ricci signature mic from Lone Wolf Blues (and I also own a Bulletini, HB-52, and a vintage Astatic)

3 Likes