Hand it Over - Keb Mo, Garth Brooks, and Terry McMillan

From what I’ve seen, this is the only known version of “Hand it Over” to feature harmonica. I personally think the harp gives more flavor to an already good song and made it great. There’s even a few portions where the harp lines sound very pretty, imo. The harmonica portions are mostly fills, but there’s also a brief solo before the second bridge that I like.

9 Likes

Awww, that just did my heart a whole lotta good! Thank you so much for sharing this. The harmonica is so tasteful and elevates the song so much.
MAHALO!
Luke

1 Like

Outstanding !! Gotta work on this song with a few friends for the next show! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sounded awesome man thanks for the share

3 Likes

This was amzing with an inspiring harmonica solo. Keb Mo’s voice is amazing. This is exactly what I need right now. I am close to weeping, it moved me so. Thank you.

2 Likes

Aw man that’s so great to hear. Yes, I agree it’s a moving and healing song. So glad you felt it deeply. Also, welcome to the forum doc! GREAT to have you here! :raised_hands:t3:

Even if you haven’t heard of Terry McMillan, there’s still a good chance that you have heard him…

After playing harmonica on tours with Chet Atkins and Jerry Reed in the mid 70’s, Terry went on to record harmonica on records for little acts like, wait for it… Elvis Presley, Ray Charles, Dolly Parton, Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash, Neil Young, Kenney Chesney, and Brooks and Dunn , just to name a few. :astonished:

This performance - with Garth Brooks, Keb Mo’ and some amazing background vocals - is on another level, not least Terry’s harmonica solo. Here are the tabs for the solo @KeroroRinChou mentions, which is at 2:47.

-23 34 4’ -45 (trill) -4’ 4 -3 -2 -2

-3’ -3 -4 6 -5 -4 4 -4 -3’ -2

-3’ -3’ -2 -3’ -3 4 -4’ -4 -5

-6’ -6 -6’ 6 -5 -4’ -4 -4 -4’ -3’ -2 4 -4 -3’ -2 2 -1

-2 -2 2 -2 2 -3’ -2 -2 -2 -2 -2”

BTW. I first became aware of Terry when Harmonica.com founder, JP Allen, turned me onto the album Terry recorded (with guitar great Larry Carlton) called Renegade Gentleman. In particular, JP loves the song Cold Day in Hell. If you wanna dig deeper into the world of Terry McMillan, have a looky at his Wikpedia page.

1 Like