Harmonica for the Musically Hopeless (Hopeful) by Jon Gindick

Jon Gindick’s written a shiny new version of his book, Harmonica for the Musically Hopeless (Hopeful.) I’m glad he’s giving it a second go, since his first version only sold 2 million copies. :wink:

It seems that Jon and I see eye to eye on a heck of a lot with harmonica, such as:

• Everything starts with relaxation and proper breathing
  • Lip blocking is the fastest way to learn how to play single notes
  • The Deep Relaxed Mouth Position must never be sacrificed for single notes
  • You can play killer blues harmonica solos with just a few basic riffs like -2 -3’ 4 -4’ -4

Anyways, I thought I’d give you a heads-up on Jon’s new book as I often get asked, "I’ve been through the Beginner to Boss course twice, as well as JP’s Breakthrough Blues course. What should I do now?”*

Well, this book could be helpful not only to reinforce important fundamentals from a fresh perspective, which can be valuable in and of itself, but also to give you a deeper dive into the world of bending.

If you’d like to get a feel for Jon, here’s an awesome vid of him teaching some of the fundamentals needed for jamming.

BTW - he’s not paying me anything to share this with you. Just wanted you to be aware of it!

Keep on rocking the harmonica, fam!
-Luke

13 Likes

I have a copy of this that I have started reading and I am wondering what it means to articulate the syllable of the song? Page 24, 26. What is the syllable of the song?
Is this the articulation on page 46?
Not sure about the throat muscle but I do notice the front of the tongue moving.
Is this articulation used on draw only?
Is this to repeat a note without stopping breathing?
Thank you

4 Likes

Articulation is how you start notes, and also how you break them up. Yes, it is a way to repeat a note without stopping your breath. Common ways to articulate are with the ta motion of your tongue, the ka motion of your throat. Often one articulates, or creates syllables of the lyrics of the song one is playing. When you hear “wa, wa, wa!” You are hearing articulation. Hope this helps.

5 Likes

Hey Tom - I see you got an answer from Jon himself! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey @Jon_Gindick - welcome to the forum, so happy to see you here! This fascinates me:

Common ways to articulate are with the ta motion of your tongue, the ka motion of your throat.

I’ve never before considered “ka” to a throat motion (unless your talking about that machine gun kinda sound we used to make when we were kids, which is used for tremolo and vibrato effects?)

When I used the syllables “Ta” and “Ka” I’ve always thought of those as the tip of the tongue on the front of roof of the mouth, and the back of the tongue on the rear of the roof of the mouth, respectively.

I’d love to hear any further thoughts you have on the subject?

3 Likes

One Minute Video for Articulation and Bending on a Blues Harp - YouTube I made a brief video that explains how and why I use the “K” consonant to channel my airstream.

6 Likes

Thank you for the video, Jon @Jon_Gindick ! :+1:

You were my first “virtual” blues harp teacher with your books for the musically hopeless – that was about at least 25 years ago :flushed: :scream:

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Thanks for this tip . . . very useful!

4 Likes

I’ve watched a lot of J G you tube vids, and even bought a book by him. He has some great tips . John if your reading, A big thank you, I learnt a lot from you.

3 Likes

Appreciate it. Jon

5 Likes

Hi there,
So I am wondering if this is the same as what Adam Gussow describes in his video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3_faQFNczQ dah-dah tuh-tuh.
So this articulation is for articulation and rhythm?
Is this a form of tonguing?
Thank you

4 Likes

I have a 1984 copy of the book that came with a cheap harp and a cassette tape, Somebody gave it to me as a gag gift, decades before I started learning to play. Is this version worth looking into?

3 Likes

Absolutely!! That is the one (with the harp – “Pocket Pal” that actually played very well – and the cassette) that I started with back in the day. The newer version is expanded and improved, but that one is still a very good starting point. :point_left: :+1:

Regards,

4 Likes

Thanks, Slim. I’ve benefited from all of your posts that I’ve read so far.

5 Likes

You are very welcome, @pastorbk ! However, I think your benefits come more from your attitude and dedicated practice than from my posts. :point_left: :slightly_smiling_face:

Keep on harpin’

4 Likes

Hello @Slim,
I’m sure you can help me. :slightly_smiling_face: How could I post my own recording here without accessing Youtube and logging into any app? You thought your Christmas song here about of the “Sound cloud App” ? It’s not mine, is there another way? I’m really green behind the ears. I’m still practicing, but apart from a few wrong notes, it works quite well. Many thanks and greetings from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

2 Likes

Hallo Astrid @AstridHandbikebee63 ,

“Sound Cloud” war nur ein Test für mich. Ich werde es nicht mehr benutzen. Die anderen Aufnahmen von mir habe ich auf “meinem” privaten Server (er wird von meinem Internet-Provider “gemietet”). Da habe ich auch meine ganzen Unterrichts-Kram, die meine Studierenden benutzt haben. Dort liegen auch meine Vorlesungsunterlagen.

Welche Provider hast Du, um mit Deinem Rechner ins Internet zu “surfen” (gehen)? Oft dort kann man für wenig Kohle auch Platz für Dateien (auch Musik, wie ich das gemacht habe) bekommen.

Ciao

2 Likes

Auf dem Tablet nutze ich Google mit Android und der PC auch Google mit WINDOWS 10. Habe es heute nur auf dem Tablet getestet, da komme ich nicht weiter. Werde es die Tage mal auf dem PC testen. Da geht bestimmt mehr. Muss eh mal schauen, damit ich das Instrumentale dazu abspielen kann. Sonst ist es so dröge… So als Aufnahme klappte das heute schon gut. Hab am PC auch ein gutes Programm, wo ich es als Spuren speichern kann. Hat keine Eile. Herzlichen Dank nochmal für deinen schnellen Service. Schönen Abend!

Übrigens habe ich gestern Overblows gespielt. Oben bei 10 angefangen und abwärts probiert. Ging schon ganz gut, so überraschend. :joy:

2 Likes

Es ist egal was für einen Computer oder welches Betriebssystem benutzt wird. Deine Aufnahme, die als Datei (z.B. als MP3) auf Deinem Computer liegt, muss irgendwo dann gespeichert sein und zwar auf einem Rechner, der 24 Stunden läuft und bietet solche Dateien für das ganze Internet an. Das ist normalerweise nur bei einem Internet-Provider oder Internet-Anbieter (wie z.B bei 1&1 oder t-online or Vodafon, oder ähnliches) möglich.

Ich glaube, dass es auch möglich ist, die Datei bei Google-Drive abzulegen (wenn Du Google-Mail hast, dann hast Du – meine ich – auch so ein Speicherplatz bei Google-Drive). Dann kannst Du die Datei “freigeben”, um für andere Personen das anhören zu ermöglichen. In so einem Fall kriegst Du von Google eine http://-blah-blah Adresse für diese Datei. Diese Internetadresse kannst Du dann in einem Post hier im Forum als Link für uns alle veröffentlichen. Dann können wir alle Deine Musik anhören, jubeln und Dich zum Star machen :partying_face:

2 Likes

:joy:

Auweia, dein Kommentar kostet mich wieder 5 x verspielen extra…( Lampenfieber).:grinning:,@ Slim.
Ich bin bescheiden und vielleicht zeigt es nur die Fortschritte durch die Lektionen hier und macht anderen Mut? So eine Art " kleine Zwischenprüfung".

An Google Drive hatte ich gestern auch schon gedacht und den Link versuchsweise kurzzeitig hier eingestellt, aber wieder gelöscht. War mir nicht sicher, ob es richtig war, da irgendwie meine Mail-Adresse stand. Werde da nochmal nachlesen, da ich das noch nie gemacht habe.

Tschüssi.

1 Like