Harmonica is Good for Your Health (Scientifically Proven)

Most of us who’ve been playing harmonica for some time can sense that it’s good for us. For one thing, learning new things in general is good for us, as Albert Einstein said:

Once you stop learning, you start dying.

And I don’t know about you, but when I play the harmonica, I can tell it’s good for me. I can feel the release of stress and tension as I play. But did you know that the harmonica is scientifically proven to be good for you?

Breathing feeds oxygen to the cells throughout your body. Without sufficient oxygen, people are more prone to health problems, including respiratory illnesses, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD,) and even heart disease.

A pilot study showed that a 12-week harmonica program significantly improved PImax, PEmax, and 6-minute walk distance in COPD patients after rehabilitation.

What does all that mean? It means that in addition to relieving stress, helping our patience, sense of purpose, and sense of accomplishment, playing the harmonica is good for your lungs!

Whether your health isn’t the best or if you’re in good shape, harmonica helps.

TIP: If you suffer from COPD, getting a lower-tuned harmonica will increase benefits to your lung health as the lower notes require more breath to activate, and the vibrations of the lower notes help to loosen up mucus in the lungs. For more info, check out JP’s article, The Big Draw.

7 Likes

Oh yes @Luke, playing the harmonica is a real fitness program similar to :rowing_man:, so to speak an all-rounder for many small and large muscles, brain and psyche.
If you stick with it, it can become a surprise bag health-wise. Didn’t we all love these :sparkler: bags in our childhood? You just have to dig up your memories. :grin:

4 Likes

Definitely a happier person, always feel 100% better after playing.

5 Likes

Great post @Luke !

I remember reading the study about the COPD patients. It’s cool that not only does the harmonica improve their lives, they even enjoy playing so much, that they formed a group

I’ve often been wondering if the harmonica can improve those with late COVID-19 symptoms

4 Likes

I just happened to take up the harmonica around time of Covid in 2019. Got sick in han of 2020 . Played all the way through it every one in my family got pneumonia except me . I was grateful and definitely think it was the breathing exercise.

4 Likes