Harmonica keys

Hi
Which key order would you buy harmonicas in?
Harmonica in key of C is first of course

4 Likes

Hi Bruce. I’ve been trying to find out too. Not that I’m short on harps though. Just very curious. Catch you brother :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hello @betterapproach.team,
After I had made friends with playing the harp, I bought a G harp and a little later an A harp. By the way, in the lower price range, a whole set of Fender Deluxe with bag. In case I ever need a rare key.
The low - harps such. B. LF I also find interesting.
As you can see, the spectrum is open-ended.

4 Likes

I didn’t know there was a specific order to buy harmonica keys in. I just went all willy-nilly with it and bought the more obscure keys first. I believe I went through this order: C, Bb, Ab, D, B, F#, Db, Eb, F, E, A, G. However, I think the first key to buy after a C is either a Bb or an A. They feel a little lower than a C, but they are very comfortable to play in.

3 Likes

Hi guys. I believe @betterapproach.team is referring to harps for the other courses available here :thinking: Cheers my friends :grinning:

1 Like

No I just realised I miss read it. My tribe of harps originally grew as required, to play whatever I had to or wanted to play. It was pretty organic :blush:

3 Likes

Thanks all

3 Likes

Sounds like a logical approach

3 Likes

I did exactly what Astrid said. C then G then A. My friend gave me a crappy G but I liked the sound so moved on to buy one. I wanted to try and learn a Bach piece which is best in G. Just buy the keys you need to play the tunes you like.

4 Likes

Hello @toogdog,
that’s the way it is! I bought my harps in the order I needed them. There is no must! But it’s fun to have a good selection. :wink:

Let it be well with you!

4 Likes

Hey @AstridHandbikebee63 instruments sure are fun and beautiful things to have. My daughter came in to my room to ask me something this afternoon. I had fallen asleep. She was laughing because the harp case was open on the bed and my hand was splayed out on top of them. She knows I love them :grin:

2 Likes

I like Harps in the key of G. The high notes are not so shrill as the C harps.
I do not, by the way, play with any groups, bands or other people, so I can play in any key I like…I also have a Low C that I like the tones, but I have COPD and find that it takes more breath than I have to play the Low C. I also find the Low C very difficult to bend, and I am not very good at controlling my bends in ANY key. Good Luck, and God Bless!

3 Likes

The most common set include A, Bb, C, D, E, F, and G. There are many Blues and Country & Western songs which utilize these keys.

3 Likes

Hello @rwmdvm74 Welcome to the forum. It’s great to have you here, and thank you for your input. Catch you around :grin:

1 Like

Thanks for the info and welcome
Regards Bruce

2 Likes

Hey @betterapproach.team i think we will be able to talk in private soon if we keep replying to each other a bit more in the same thread. Cheers Bruce :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes