Harmonica question

I recently bought a Hohner Crossover in C. It is my first real harp. It sounds amazing from holes 3-10. I feel like the sounds in holes 1 &2 are not nearly the quality. I contacted Hohner and they said that’s typical from a novice. As I have no experience and don’t know anyone who plays I’m trying to figure out if what I’m experiencing is normal or if it’s that harp. My problem is with producing good/and sound from holes 1/2. I tongue block for single hole play, for more info. Thank you!

4 Likes

It might just be a case of fine tuning the technique on the bottom holes to get the note to sound as it should. I’m only a few weeks into playing myself.
On my harmonica 1 draw and 5 draw sound super easy but I struggled with the others, I assumed it was something wrong, took the cover plates off and poked around a bit but nothing looked obviously (to a complete newbie) wrong or different.

A few weeks later and im still not convinced the harp is as good as it could be but I am getting those other draw notes to sound a lot better.

If there is anything wrong that a slightly different technique doesn’t fix it’s most likely just needing a set up tweek - there’s quite a few videos on gapping reeds on YouTube but it’s probably a case of playing with it a lot more before concluding it’s not quite right.

2 Likes

I’m a beginner and struggle with 1 and 2 blow and draw and 8-9-10 about the same. I’m convinced it’s a beginner issue as I am and not the harp. I just got a new Special 20 and I’m having the same issue. The long and short reeds are tricky to engage apparently. It is frustrating I’ll admit but we’ll all figure it out with practice I’m sure!

3 Likes

Hello @Piglet, hello @AllenJP,

when I think back to my beginnings, it was the same for me! The song played great, only the 1-3 draws were unreliable.
The more I tried it, the worse it got! Why? Because I was getting more and more frustrated inside! That means my required relaxation was missing!

How long did it take you to learn to read, write and count properly?

Take the pressure off, you’re not supposed to win a challenge!

Greetings from Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

4 Likes

@jbelokur - welcome to the forum my friend! Yes that it true for DRAWING holes 1 and 2. But not so much blowing. Is it mostly the sound of the draws that you don’t like?

1 Like

Yes, it is mainly on the draw. It’s muted and bends off the pitch when it makes sound.

2 Likes

OK. In that case I agree with the Hohner folks you spoke with. Don’t you worry, this is normal problem that most beginners experience! :ok_hand:t3: These are the tips for a getting good -2:

1.) Let gravity lower your jaw so that it’s totally relaxed and in a nice “aw” vowel shape, your teeth should be far apart from each other

2.) Keep the back of your tongue down, like it is when you yawn. Make sure it’s not in the “Kk” zone (how your tongue is when you say a “Kk” consonant.)

3.) Nice steady, GENTLE, airflow. Most beginners (and many intermediate and advanced players) use WAY to much pressure.

Hope that helps! :sunglasses:

Aloha,
Luke

4 Likes

So I learned about tongue blocking a few weeks ago and it has really helped me progress. Should I stay away from tongue blocking on holes 1&2? Thank you so much for your advice.

2 Likes

These reed are longer they need a soft approach to break in, open your nose and sinuses and don’t push. Sounds silly but be the reed, imagine it fluttering, feel the reed, don’t block yet, do 1-4 push and draw, slowly like shallow breathing, gradually work down to two holes, then 1 or 2 back and forth, draw and push slowly evenly, softly, then coax the sound via diaphragm, throat, mouth full of air, vary techniques, never pushing hard. Gradually you will move them out of their slumber and almost feel the reeds vibrato.

1 Like

Do you think this is a matter of both me as a player, and a fairly fresh harp, or mostly just me?

1 Like

Hi @Jbelokur

Please don’t take this the wrong way, because I intend to help you improve. But my personal opinion here is that the problem is not that the harp needs to be “broken in”. In fact, there is no solid evidence that harps need to be, or can be, “broken in”. I am open to such evidence, and will change my opinion if I can be presented with it.

On the other hand, it occurs over and over again that beginners require time, practice and patience to learn the optimum playing techniques (including tongue position, larynx control, correct blow & draw pressures, etc).

What makes this so difficult is that we cannot see what is taking place in (for example) the mouth & throat of Filip Jers, @Luke, Howard Levy, or any of our favorite harp players. And they can only try their best to tell us what they are doing, while themselves not seeing exactly what it is that they are doing! :thinking: Compare this to piano or guitar playing …

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Allen

Here are two things that helped me when starting, which was not long ago.

1 Use your diaphragm, especially on the high holes.

2 Make sure your tongue does not raise up and get in the way.

The high end was my biggest challenge as well. Practice when you feel up t it and never give up.

There is a lesson plan Beginner To Boss available through harmonica.com. It will show how these things are done correctly, which keeps you from grooving bad habits. Also blow and draw easily on the higher notes.

Scott4

2 Likes

Awesome. Thank you. I will look at those lessons. I’m enjoying playing so far. It’s fun.

2 Likes

jbelokur

Glad your are moving to the next step. I have an analogy that I feel helps when the place days seem to get the best of you. I feel l learning to play the harmonica, as I am trying to, has many different aspects but none are really hard. Some will be more difficult than others. I happens to every player. Its the mistakes you turn into learning expenses you learn the most from, unless one looses heart and quite, a huge mistake.

Imagine your are creating a necklace made of many small links. Every time you learn something you have added a link to your chain. After a month or two you will have several of these links. I do not like mistakes but they are what I have will learned the most from. The further you progress the bigger your small linked necklace gets. At some point you get to the point where playing a few tunes well. After that others will follow, resulting in your confidence improving. Use of your diaphragm is very important and in my opinion helps with the mid to higher notes in terms of breathing and playing a sharp note. Others may disagree but I does help me tremendously.

You are bound to be more intelligent than at least one of the good players and if they can do it so can you. I will never quit learning as none knows it all, myself included.

I play only when I am up for it as my endeavor is for fun, nothing more. The lesson Luke offers helps you more than you may think after the first go around. I plan to go back to the ones I feel improvement is needed on the most.

People on this forum like Dai are advanced players and go out of their way to help. You may never meet them but its these type of people that make this forum so helpful. They do much to add a links to your necklace.

Stick with it you will get there and you will have a necklace to boot.

Scott4

3 Likes

Whoever said breaking in not required, he is correct. The actual thing needed is to feel the reeds, know your instrument, also make sure you brush your teeth and don’t point down to avoid your juices to flow instead of your air. Try different air deliveries, after a while you will know what your reeds can and can’t do and which holes. Don’t try to push to much at once, controlled breathing.

3 Likes

@Jbelokur No need to avoid tongue blocking on holes 1 & 2. When I’m tongue-blocking, I usually switch to blocking right side holes when playing 1.

The -1 and -2 as I think I’ve already said in this thread will sound bad when back of tongue is raise up. This is true whether tonguing or lipping.

Hope that helps?

2 Likes

@Slim great post as always here my friend, and thanks for mentioning me in a list along with a couple of the greatest living harmonica players, lol! :wink::joy:

I recently returned from SPAH and your boy Flip Jers, though not present, won an award for being an awesome harmonica player! Well-deserved. Made me think of you.

Hope you are well, my friend. I’m remembering you in my prayers.

Aloha,
Luke

2 Likes

I can curl my tongue or direct air, so blocking or actually putting my tongue on the comb, not needed.

1 Like

@GreenStamps, how would you then play notes like -25, -14, and +36 if you don’t use a tongue block?

Regards Astrid :woman_in_lotus_position:

I use a tongue block, but not a traditional sense of putting it on the holes, just redirect, hard to explain, like blowing air on either side of your tongue. I rarely use the first two 3/6 I do. You just kind of put your tongue in the way, but not lick the comb. Air travels the path of least resistance.

2 Likes