Heat of the Night theme

Greetings,

Anyone know the tabs for the Heat of the Night closing credits?Awesome harmonica during the closing credits… Would love to learn to play this. Thanks - Don

2 Likes

Hey @tmdmjones welcome to the forum my friend! Great harmonica indeed! If I had to guess, I’d bet that’s Terry McMillan - it sure sounds like him. Maybe @KeroroRinChou knows for sure if this is him?

Most of this is played on an Eb harmonica, in 2nd position, key of Bb. The first note he does a real fast bend so I notated it as -2" -2, but you could just play it as -2 instead. Here are the harmonica tabs for Heat of the Night Theme.

-2”-2 -3 5 -4
-4 -4’ -4 -2 -3’ -3 -4
-1 2 -2 -3” -3’ -3” -2 2 -2

Then he changes harmonica for the next line. Not 100% what key he’s playing, but I’d be willing to bet it’s an F harmonica. Certainly can play it easily with his bending and vibrato on an F harmonica:

5 -6 -6’ -6 -6’ -6 7

Then back to Eb harmonica

-1 2 -2 -3’ -3” -2 -3” -2

-2 -3 5 -4 -4 -4’ -3 -2 -3’ -3 -4

1 Like

@Luke There was a whole thing on a Facebook harmonica group about this. I never watched the show, so I don’t know who it is. I don’t think it’s Terry though because his tone didn’t have a honk to it and his vibrato is a lot less shallow sounding. If I could make a suggestion, may I say Tommy Morgan? He didn’t play diatonic a whole lot, but he would’ve had that kind of tone. IDK, I need to ask Todd and possibly Rob Paparozzi about it.

2 Likes

@Luke I talked with Todd last night, he confirmed that it is not Terry McMillan. I was looking at one of the show’s credits to see who it is, the guy who did the outro was Bill Champlin. I know absolutely zilch about him.

3 Likes