Help with chords

I just met a singer songwriter and we are working up a few songs to play in public. She handed me her sheet where she lists the chords.

I did a quick image search for harp chords but did not find anything for A Major or G Major (the two harps I will need)

I know well about 1st 2nd and third positions but if I need to go from, say A to Bm7, I am not sure where to go. That is just one example. Are there charts that show the chords for each of the Major Key harps?

3 Likes

Does this help?

3 Likes

Very useful. Thanks

2 Likes

That is helpful. Thank you.

2 Likes

All credit to Harptabs for that one!

1 Like

@argold57 - Sorry I’m so late here. I’m guessing you guys have already performed?

If you’re wanting to play chords, a Lee Oskar Melody Maker key of A is a really elegant solution for playing an A to Bm7 chord progression. A is drawing holes 1-4 (and you can add in -5 for the major 7 if it sounds nice) and then blowing holes 1-4 gives you your Bm7 chord. I exemplify that at the end of this rendition of “Cool Down”:

I’m playing on a G, so it’s G - Am, but it’s the same progression I - iim7.

If it’s not too late, and you list the other chord progressions, we can help you choose the best harmonica for the job.

1 Like

Hi there! I have to admit to knowing barely anything about chord changes and their relationship (if there is one) with positions. Can anybody recommend any literature or video material to help me get more of a grasp on that?

I know how to play in positions and how that relates to the key of the song and the key of the harmonica at hand. I can intuitively play a 12 bar blues, but could use some pointers on chords, chord progressions and all that.

2 Likes

12-Bar blues chords here:

Basic info on chords on harmonica here:

Hope that helps. LMK if you have any other questions on the subject.

2 Likes