History of the Harmonica

Hey guys - I’m kinda fascinated about the history of the harmonica, and I thought it’d be cool to start a thread where we can share things we know or learn, or questions we have about the history of the harmonica.

To start us off, I stumbled upon this movie and watched it last night. Parts are a little bit dry, but I learned a lot about the history of the instrument that gives me a whole new appreciation for it.

LMK what you think! And please share anything about harmonica history!

5 Likes

I haven’t read it, but Richard Sleigh recommends "Machers and Rockers” by Rich Cohen.
Here’s what Richard said about it: “it is great writing, a real page turner. It nails the language and the feel of Chicago in the fifties and is full of insider info and stories that make the history of how the blues migrated from the Mississippi delta to the south side of Chicago and got plugged into loud amplifiers in sweaty bars to become Rock & Roll”.
I was going to order the book, but when I saw the price, I changed my mind. Ha.

2 Likes

Right on, thanks for the tip! There’s lots of used ones selling cheap on Amazon. I just bought one for $4. Looking forward to reading it this summer!

Thank you for the video. Good one!

1 Like

I watched “Tin Sandwich” a while back and really enjoyed it. I’m also enjoying reading “Harmonicas, Harps, and Heavy Breathers” for an overall and comprehensive history, by Kim Field. I’m no authority, but I’m enjoying it so far.

2 Likes

Hi, Luke, I watched this documentry the other night, it’s very interesting.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the tip. I ordered the book use on Amazon, and it just arrived and I read the first couple of pages. It looks awesome! I’m excited!
Mahalo,
Luke

Hey Pete! Glad you enjoyed it!

1 Like

Hey Luke,
Hope you like it. I’m just now getting to the famous folk and blues players (I’m not a fast reader… I like to take my time and mull over what I’m reading). It’s cool to read, and then Youtube about, the recordings of people like Palmer McAbee and his locomotive piece, or fox chase recordings of Sonny Terry, especially after learning some simple versions of the same kind of thing in your course. So far I’m really enjoying the book, especially now that I have enough knowledge that it mostly all makes sense and I can relate to it. My awareness of all the players that are out there, or have been, is rapidly expanding.
Cheers,
Chris

1 Like

Hey Chris - I’m sure I’m and even slower reader than you. But I’m about 30 pages in and absolutely LOVING it!

I haven’t gotten to the parts talking about the players that you mentioned yet, but looking forward to doing exactly what you’re doing…checking them out on YouTube as they appear in the book.

For anyone who’s interested, you can purchase it here:

It’s not too expensive, but note that there are also used versions if you want to save money!

Aloha,
Luke

1 Like

Hey Luke, glad your enjoying the book… I’m finding it a real treasure as I go through it.
Also, have you read this article on Lee Oskar?.. I know you’re a fan. VERY interesting! Highly recommended to anyone interested in the (more recent) history of the harmonica. And check out the video link for the “Chromabender”!!!

Cheers, Chris

1 Like

It’s fascinating to see how this simple, yet at the same time complex, instrument has evolved over time.

Very cool video @Luke

1 Like

Loved this programme. Learned a lot. Howard Levy playing Amazing Grace…Wow. Just wow. I’m a big fan of Brendan Power and what he is doing, so good to see him featured. Very focused on British players of course, while we usually see American players, but interesting nevertheless. The future of the harmonica looks very safe.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @HorseDoctor so glad to have you! I’m right there with you my friend. I’m a huge fan of Howard Levy and BP as well, and I agree the future of harmonica looks as bright as ever! Great observations.

Rock on,
Luke

3 Likes