Hohner Pentaharp

So check this out: the new Hohner Pentaharp. I hope to pick one up ASAP and see how it plays.

Regards,
– Slim

2 Likes

Hallo @Slim, habe da direkt geschaut. Bin ja nicht neugierig… :joy:
Wenn das stimmt, was versprochen wird, brauche ich nichts mehr lernen und kann damit sofort richtig ohne Techniken spielen :face_with_raised_eyebrow:, :grin:.
Halte mich bitte auf dem laufenden, falls du sie bekommst.
Viele Grüße von Astrid

1 Like

Hier in DE habe ich für die Pentaharp keine Auskunft bekommen oder Händler gefunden. Ich habe den Eindruck, dass zuerst wird sie nur den USA angeboten/ausgeliefert. :roll_eyes:

Ich werde mich melden, sobald ich etwas mehr erfahre.

Tschüss
– Slim

1 Like

So schaut es wirklich aus @Slim.
Habe gerade mit Thomann telefoniert, spontan sagte denen der Name gar nichts…
Sie wissen aber, dass auch sie mit als Erste diese Harp von Hohner bekommen werden.

Hier ist der Link, da könntest du gelegentlich stöbern.

Viele Grüße Astrid

1 Like

Vielen Dank, Astrid @AstridHandbikebee63 ! Ich benutze Thomann bereits – und war mal bei Thomann in Burgebrach, Franken: wahnsinnige Auswahl und sehr beeindruckend !! :exploding_head: Das Firmengelände ist wie ein Dorf !

Ciao
– Slim

1 Like

Habe mir gedacht, dass du sie kennst, @Slim.:smiley:
Du wohnst auch sehr günstig für einen Besuch.
Für mich ein wenig sehr weit und von den Fotos her viele Treppen… Die mag ich nicht so, da es stark holpert beim Fahren.
Alles klar! Bye, bye.

1 Like

Hi Astrid @AstridHandbikebee63,

Since I learned that the Hohner PentaHarp will not be sold in Germany until sometime in 2022, I placed an order with Seydel for “PentaHarp” tuned reed plates that will fit on the comb of my Seydel 1847 PowerDraw harp, whose reeds I more or less “repaired” to the extent that it is no longer playable !!! :rofl:

Seydel has a cool thing in their Custom Shop called “Config Reedplates” that I used to place the order for the same thing that Hohner is making with the PentaHarp. The price was 79.95 € ( which is about $90 US dollars). I had the plates about 3-4 days later and it is really fun to use/learn to play!! Plus I have stainless steel reeds (Hohner has brass) and I “salvaged” my PowerDraw G which is now an 1847 PentaHarp G !!

I will write a follow-up in this thread about the note layout and some very interesting possibilities that this harp gives to the harp player.

Regards,
– Slim

2 Likes

Hallo @Slim, danke, danke für den kurzen “Dienstweg”. Gut zu wissen. :smiley:
Viele Grüße von Astrid

1 Like

Es tut mir Leid, dass ich nicht auf Deutsch gerade geschrieben habe … falls es, wenn auch immer, Unklarheiten geben soll, kannst Du bei mir immer nachfragen. :wink:

Viele Grüße
– Slim

1 Like

Hallo @Slim, es ist alles in Ordnung und ich habe dich sehr gut verstanden. :slightly_smiling_face:
Das ist eine gute Idee. War gerade auf der Seite von Seydel. Ich nutze ja gern Hohner und habe als Hauptnutzung die Blues Harp C. Wie du schreibst natürlich mit Messingzungen. Da ich derzeit sehr aktiv das Bending übe und lerne, ist die arme Harp bestimmt bald fertig… :joy:
Bei Seydel gibt es einen Stimmplattensatz für C (Richter).
Meine Frage an dich, woher weiß ich, dass die in meine Hohner passen? Achte ich da nur auf die Bohrlöcher oder kann man die dort im Service danach fragen?

Zu 99.9% werden die Seydel Stimmplatten nur zu Seydel Kämmen genau passen. :roll_eyes: Also Du sollst ein Seydel harp schon haben (z.B. eine Session Steel oder eine Version der 1847 Modelle, wie Du auf die “Config Reedplates” Seite entnehmen kannst – oder besser von der “Config Harmonikas” Seite, wo Du die ganze Harmonika dann bestellst).

Die Session Steel Harmonikas sind etwa halb so teuer als die 1847 Harmonikas. :point_left:

Ich bevorzuge die 1847 Classic, aber alle sind gut. Ich werde irgendwann mir eine 1847 Lightning schenken!!

Gruß
– Slim

1 Like

So, Blues Harpists, here is my follow-up about my Seydel 1847 "PentaHarp".

I ordered a “PentaHarp” (which I will refer to as the PH harp to save typing) in the key of G for two reasons: (1) to see just how well such a harp plays, (2) to get a PentaHarp for playing Bb scales of various sorts that I can use when playing along with my “jazz” buddies who often play tunes that use Bb scales. I also ordered the harp with all of the draw note reed slots valved (if you do not understand what that is, don’t worry about it because it really is not so important unless you are really into more advanced playing techniques). :thinking:

Although the G PH is probably easiest for beginners to play in the key of G minor (because all you need to do is to be able to play single notes and to draw and blow), I do not like to use it for that. Why? Because a couple of the very expressive notes for playing blues in G minor turn out to be blow notes. In particular G and D, rather than the blues-player’s favorite draw notes (which permit much more expressive playing). Also you cannot gradually bend around between D and Db because D is a blow note while Db is a draw note on a different hole! How unfortunate … but read on, because the good stuff is yet to come.

Don’t misunderstand me: the G PH is really easy to play G minor for beginners and is super for guitatrists who have the harp in a harp holder around their neck so that their hands are free to play the guitar while they still can play the harp at the same time. But I (personally) cannot get the expressiveness in G minor with the G PH that I can get with a plain C diatonic harp played in 2nd position. :roll_eyes:

To understand all of this better, here is a chart of the holes and the notes obtained from those holes on a plain C diatonic harp and the G PH.

The tabs on the left are for a plain C diatonic harp and the tabs on the right are for a G PentaHarp:

•    C-harp  G-PH  Tone

•             +1'    Gb  (valved PH) X

•             +1     G    X

•             -1"    Ab   X

•             -1'    A    X

•             -1     Bb   X

•             +2'    B    X

•      +1     +2     C

•      -1'    -2     Db

•      -1     +3     D

•      +1o    -3"    Eb

•      +2     -3'    E

•      -2"    -3     F

•      -2'    +4'    F#  (valved PH)

•     -2/+3   +4     G

•      -3'"   -4"    Ab

•      -3"    -4'    A

•      -3'    -4     Bb

•      -3     +5'    B   (valved PH)

•      +4     +5     C

•      -4'    -5     Db

•      -4     +6     D

•      +4o    -6"    Eb

•      +5     -6'    E

•      -5     -6     F

•      +5o    +7'    F#  (valved PH)

•      +6     +7     G

•      -6'    -7"    Ab

•      -6     -7'    A

•      +6o    -7     Bb

•      -7     +8'    B   (valved PH)

•      +7     +8     C

•      -7o    -8     Db

•      -8     +9     D

•      +8'    -9"    Eb

•      +8     -9'    E

•      -9     -9     F

•      +9'   +10'    F#  (valved PH)

•      +9    +10     G

•      -9o   +10'    Ab  (valved PH)

•     -10    -10'    A

•     +10"   -10     Bb

•     +10'           B   X

•     +10            C   X

•     -10o           Db  X

The lines that end with X are for notes that can only be played on the G PH (the first six lines) or only on the plain C diatonic (the last three lines).

Note also: for the G PH, only blow, draw, draw single bend, draw double bend and blow single bend are used for all of the indicated notes – no overdraws, no overblows, no double blow bends, no triple draw bends !!!

A close examination of the above chart will show you that you can use the G PH to really have fun playing the Bb scales (by the way, this means that you are playing the G PH in 10th position): Bb minor scale, Bb minor pentatonic pentatonic, Bb minor blues, Bb Lydian scale, Bb Major, Bb Major pentatonic, Bb Major blues.

There are quite a few other scales that you can also play on the G PH (such as F Major, F Maj pentatonic, F Maj blues, F min pentatonic, D min pentatonic, D min blues, and more). :partying_face:

I will leave you with the above chart to stimulate your brain cells. Do not forget that other PH harps can be made besides just the G. Basically you can order (from Seydel) a PentaHarp (although they do not use that name) in any key! So the blues harp universe has become much more interesting with this new type of harp tuning. :boom: :dizzy: :musical_note: :notes:

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hallo @Slim, so etwas hatte ich mir schon gedacht. Ist ja nicht schlimm, aber schön, dass wir es erörtert haben.
Dass du dir gern die 1847 Lightning schenken willst, kann ich sehr gut verstehen. Habe sie mir gerade angeschaut und -gehört. Eine wirkliche Schönheit, innen und außen…
willst du dir hier das ganze Set holen, wo wir wieder beim Thema wären…;-), oder nur eine wie die C Harp ? Der einzelne Preis geht für diese gute Qualität, bei dem Set “muss eine alte Frau ganz schön lange für Stricken”.
Wünsche dir einen schönen Abend. Gruß Astrid

1 Like

Ja, für ein ganzes Set der Lightning 1847 suche ich noch diese alte (reiche) Frau :innocent:

Aber irgendwann wirst Du eine neue Harmonika wollen/brauchen, und dann kannst Du Dir eine 1847 Harmonika gönnen! Es wird sich lohnen. Auch die Session Steel Modelle sind ganze gut.

Einen schönen Abend wünsche ich Dir zurück.

Gruß
– Slim :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hey Slim - this is so cool. Looking forward to trying one of these out. Thanks for sharing!

Aloha,
Luke

2 Likes

Hey @Slim - I picked up a Hohner Pentaharp in the key of A. It is very interesting. It could be useful for some guitar players wanting to be able to play a pentatonic riff without having to learn challenging techniques, but for a harmonica veteran the absence of things like -4’ and -2" and -45 trills makes it less than satisfying in the blues context for which it was designed.

So funny, it was really hard for me to stop blowing and drawing the holes 7-10 the way I’m used to on regular diatonic harps (with the blows higher than the draws)!

I had to practice sooooo slowly to train myself that the draw is higher than the blow lolololol.

I haven’t tried to use it on a gig or in the studio, but will keep you posted if I do.

Rock on,
Luke

1 Like