Hole 10 hard to play

Hi guys, i’m exploring the hole above 7 and find very difficult to play expecially for the 10 blow probably i’m not puckering correctly but basically i can’t make it sound.
Am I the only one strugglin with this?
Any suggestion? Thanks

2 Likes

Hello @alessandro.d84,
yes, Blow 10 can be a queen! For me it gets better when the harp has good hand warmth. Since the tones 8, 9 and 10 are not often used, I play them several times as a draw and blow for songs with the high tones.

Actually, I briefly do this for all tones every day. This also helps as a workout for me!
There are also harps and keys that are used less frequently. Then the repeated play from 1 to 10 is an advantage anyway.

3 Likes

Hi @AstridHandbikebee63 ,
Thanks for answerme now i feel not the only one. I’m trying to play all the holes every day but for now the ten is really a bad beast for me.
Also all the hole from 6 to \10 feels like thay have more " pressure " i do not know how to discribe differently.
I’m trying also to play really gently but not with great result.

The strange thing is that drawing fromt ten is ok but blowing is like if i’m blowing not in the hole

2 Likes

@alessandro.d84, you know the structure of the harp inside? And do you know the length of the reeds from 1 - 10? If not, look up photos online. Then you don’t need to open your own harp.
Up to 10 the reeds get shorter and shorter. You could also say vibrating tongues :wink:. The short reeds need more air to vibrate!
Is a good start for you at - 10. Remember, hand warmth, patience and relaxation! Get a feel for the reeds! If you want to learn and play overblows later, the time you invest now will help you a lot.
There are things that just take their time.

Have a nice weekend!

3 Likes

@AstridHandbikebee63 , thanks for the advises.
I did not know that difference in lenght reeds needs different airflow i always try to play as gently as possible.
I will try increasing it and for sure I need to be more patience :sweat_smile:!!
Learning Harmonica is also teching me this.
I will spend a lot of time practicing this week end and see whats happen.

Nice week end to you and thanks again for taking the time to answer me.

3 Likes

@alessandro.d84 can you EVER get the 10 blow to make it sound? If not, something could be blocking it, or it could need an adjustment.

2 Likes

@Luke , I can make it sound some times, now is getting better but i think is a problem of embochure cause i’ve tried in different harmonica and the problem is the same.
Thanks

3 Likes

My new Special 20 is the same way. It does blow and I checked it on the bend tool to make sure the note is right and it is but certainly requires more effort than the lower holes.

2 Likes

@CampfireVampire yes for me a lot of effort.
I’m also playing on a Special 20, I love the sound. It feels like it need a little bit more air than the marine band to me but i really love it. I felt the same with the Lee Oskar. Maybe due to the bigger hole?
I’m trying to play on different harmonica just to explore how the sound change.

Thanks for your feedback

2 Likes