Honner Chromatic scale?

Hi to all on a recent Honner Cromatic was the stamp ; FIs

What scale is that please ?

kind regards

Aloha and welcome to the forum! So, on a chromatic harmonica you can play any scale, just like you can on a piano. Here at harmonica.com, we really specialize mostly on the diatonic harmonica. Hope that helps!

Aloha,
Luke

1 Like

FIs

What scale is that please ?

The chromatic harmonica’s mostly always tuned to C major scale if you play them naturally without pushing in the side button.

I don’t think that FI refers to anything having to do with the scale of the harmonica, I’d guess it’s related to the model. But I could be wrongs.

Again, Chromatic is really not my specialty.

Aloha,
Luke

1 Like

I don’t know why that is on the Hohner chromatic that you have. Being a German company that harp might have a German notation on it (although I doubt that very much unless the harmonica is very old).

Are you sure that the engraving is FIs? Could it be Fis? I ask because Fis is German for F# (F sharp). It would be very unusual for a chromatic harmonica to be tuned to F# (or Fis), but I do know that you can buy chromatic harmonicas in various keys (the excellent harp player Filip Jers plays chromatic harps in keys other than C, for example).

Regards,

– Slim

1 Like

Yes - True that, @Slim! I know Stevie Wonder has Bb, B, and Db Chromatic harmonicas, but most of the time he plays in C.

Keys beside C I don’t believe are very commonplace. A special order kind of product in my understanding, but I don’t claim to be an expert on chromatic harmonica.

I would be very surprised if there were an F# tuned.

I’m guessing it’s referring to the model of Hohner harp it is. @db133, maybe consider posting your question in a FB group like Harmonica Techniques, Custom Harps and Harp Gear

1 Like

I have checked out the current chromatic harp offerings from Hohner and Seydel and did not find an F# (or in German: a Fis) tuning. I did not check any other companies, but I doubt that it is a standard offering. I know that Seydel will make harps to match a customer’s desire, and probably Hohner does as well.

Perhaps – if this is a really old harp – Hohner did offer a Fis (F#) tuned chromatic harp. The only way to find out would be to write them and ask about it – also including a photo of the harp would no doubt help.

I’m beginning to think that the engraving is Fls (capital F, smalll L and small S). Again, probably best to ask Hohner directly.

Regards,

– Slim

2 Likes