How Low can you go?

I have what I think is a simple question. The number 1 hole on a harmonica is the lowest note it plays but what key of a harmonica plays the lowest note? The 10 hole is the highest note on the harmonica but again what harmonica key plays the highest note?

1 Like

Hey Timothy -

Not sure which question you’re asking here so I’ll answer both, lol.

The lowest harmonica key traditionally is a G harmonica, but they also make a Low F (labeled “LF”) And now, Lee Oskar makes all the way down to Low C. That is going REAL LOW yo!

Highest key traditionally is an F harmonica. They do make a High G. But I don’t think you need to go any higher than F. It’s already pretty shrill!

Does that answer your question?

If your question was what note the 1 and 10 play, the blow 1 and blow 10 both play the note name of the harmonica. So on a C harmonica, the 1 is low C, and the 10 is high C.

Rock on!
Luke

2 Likes

Hi Timothy,

According to the web page for Seydel harmonicas, they build and sell the lowest Richter-tuned diatonic harmonica in the world: the model 1847 LLE (which stands for Low Low E) is relatively new in their product list and seems to sell for around 107 (US ) for the Classic model, and about $130 for the Noble model.

They also offer the Classic model as a high Bb also for about $107. I have not looked into such high ranges so I do not know if anyone offers higher range harps that are still of good quality.

Seydel 1847 model harmonicas are exceptionally good and have stainless steel reeds. Their models with brass reeds are priced more like Hohner and Lee Oskar harmonicas. I own and play both the Seydel 1847 models and their less expensive brass reed models as well. All are very good harps – as are the Hohner Special 20, Marine Band Deluxe and Rocket models (which I also own and play).

Regards,

– Slim

2 Likes

Thank You yes that answered my question.

Thank You maybe if and when I get better at playing I will check out the Seydel.

1 Like

OK, awesome!

I’m pretty sure the guy at Hohner told me that they’re making Rocket LLF (Low Low F.) That’s loooowwwwwwww.

1 Like

I purchased a Lee Oscar LowC Tombo recently. I LOVE the low range. I play a lot of songs on the upper half of the harmonica because I am not good at bending. I think they sound MUCH BETTER an octave lower…

3 Likes

Smart Poppo! Can you get your wifey to shoot a video and upload it to YouTube?

Aloha,
Luke

2 Likes

I am not really good enough to show off anything. Still having sore lip problems. Neither of us has ever ‘shot a video’ and we don’t have a camera anyway. . I could demonstrate my bending techniques, but my bends sound more like aberations or strange alien noises…some of my ‘bends’ make my dog howl…Thanks…

6 Likes

LOL. My poor dog always wants to ride in the car with me, and I’d love to always take him but he can’t stop howling when I play harmonica, so he ends up getting left home or I’d never get any practicing in. :wink:

4 Likes

Haha if I had a car that’s what I would do, as I can really only practice when my cat’s not around. (Often she get’s attracted to the sound and gently tells me to stop)

As for lower key harps, I’m definitely going to invest in a Low F or such. There are songs I wanna play in F but I think the standard harmonica is a bit too high for me

3 Likes

I thought I was the only one getting alien :space_invader: sounds! :joy:

Nice to know I’m in good company @Poppo

2 Likes

I can bend my “G” harp, hole 3 and 6 to Db. I can bend my “C” harps, holes 1 and 4 to Db. Other bends are hit and miss at best, and I have trouble holding anything else that I actually am able to bend “on key”. The only ones I can count on are hole 1 on C harp and hole 6 on G harp. Right now the insides of my lips are so sore I can hardly play straight notes. Nothing but total abstinence seems to help them. My Covid Medications (among others) seem to dry up my secretions.

1 Like

Hi @Poppo,

On your G harp you get Db by bending hole 2 draw down a half-step (-2’ is the usual notation). Hole 6 cannot be bent to get a Db because the D there is a blow note (unless you have installed a valve on the hole 6 draw slot – but let’s not get into that, and I doubt that you have done that).

Perhaps you mean draw bending holes 3 and 6 to get D# on your G harp, which is a step-and-a-half bend for hole 3 draw ( -3’" ) and a half-step bend for hole 6 draw ( -6’ ) ?? :thinking:

Regards,
– Slim

1 Like

I must be thinking of D#.

3 Likes

Right on @Poppo Poppo. You’re bending, so that’s a huge victory that many people never get to celebrate. So keep on practicing!! The control of the existing bends, and the other holes will come together for you in time!

Rock on,
Luke

4 Likes