How Playing Harp Benefits Your Brain

Playing Harp Benefits Your Brain

I’m writing this to you on an airplane ride home to Hawaii from dropping my daughter off for her first quarter at Stanford University (proud daddy moment).

As you could probably guess, music has been a HUGE part of her life (she plays ukulele very well) and that’s probably why she’s now at Stanford. :wink:

But the visual arts are her passion. And because we love to laugh and tease each other, I enjoy frequently reminding her that music is scientifically proven to be the highest art form . :joy: What’s my proof?

While looking at visual art activates a certain part of your brain, when you listen to music, multiple areas of your brain become engaged and active .

And when you actually play an instrument, that activity becomes more like a full-body brain workout.

What’s going on? I think it’s worth taking 4 minutes and 44 seconds to watch Anita Collins explain the fireworks that go off in musicians’ brains when they play, and examine some of the long-term positive effects of this mental workout.

Takeaway: keep on playing the harmonica . It’s not just fun - it actually will help you live a longer, healthier life !

10 Likes

Hello @Luke, proud dad, which is understandable. I’m curious which way your daughter will go. When you’re all together, do you make good music at home? I imagine it well!

The video is very interesting! I had already looked at it, explained it very well.
For me, learning music is a kind of mindfulness training. I have to focus on the music and everything else fades out. Whether harp or keyboard. The brain performs at its best. Also motorically not to be neglected as in sports. I always feel great and relaxed afterwards, almost positively intoxicated, but powerful.
It has the same effect on me as a tour on a hand bike. Happy!

3 Likes

And playing music with your kids is just about the most fun a Dad can have!

6 Likes

Oh yeah man, it sure is, I remember once when my youngest was three and in charge of the band (still seems to be in charge of everything all after all these years). She stopped us in the middle of a song, pointed at me who was playing guitar and harp and said, that’s good, you keep doing what you’re doing. Then pointed at her brother who was playing Bass and told him she liked what he was doing and to keep it up. Then turned to her mum who was on percussion and back up vocals and said to her, you, you go and cook something. Not always as much fun for mothers. I guess that’s as much diplomacy as you can get from a three year old :grin:

3 Likes

Except my son was into drums
Loud as
Good fun though

4 Likes