How to know when a harp is worn out?

I check my harps with the bend-it-better tool to see if they are out of tune. Is there a better way to see if a harp is worn out?

I have been playing my ‘A’ harp a lot for two years, and I don’t want to experience reed breakage.

3 Likes

If you do not play it hard and it sounds good its not broke. If it were to fail replaced the reed plate. To see if the plates are flat take them off and very lightly rub the plate, reeds up, in circles. I use , wet and dry sand paper. I do not put any downward pressure on the plate. After you lightly rotate it over the sand paper take a look at the plate and you can see what part of the plate is coming in contact with the sand paper. It will look shiny. if you have a large place in the plate that does not show any contact then the claws can be used to slightly move the plate until the whole plate shoes contact. I do all new harps like this to get rid of any air leaks. Its seems to work very well. Always rotate with the reeds up and 1,600 paper will not scrape or damage the plate.

3 Likes

Great advice!

1 Like