HOW To Play with Guitar in minor scale?

I’m gradually accompanying a small band, they play mostly in minor keys (Am, Em, Gm )

I’ve been [counting up 4 harp keys] to choose a harp/key that usually works, but, ALL the notes are not accurate.
So, I have 2 Options I’ve read:

1. Play a Major Key harp that has the “Relative minor” on its 6th scale note; or
  2. Buy individual harps in each minor key (More expensive, since I have $300 in harps in Major keys now)

I.E.: If they play in Em, would I use a G-Major harp to accompany & [Which Hole] is the Em Home Note?

2 Likes

Jesse, in Orlando, FL RE my previous post a minute ago

Thanks Luke for your Excellent lessons, I’ve been following your Youtubes Videos for the last couple years, they’re Great! Jesse

2 Likes

Hi @thejosher33

If the band is playing something in Am I would try using a G harp and play it in 3rd position. You could also try an F harp and play it in 5th position. This same method applies to other minor key music (e.g. song in Dm: play a C harp in 3rd position or play a Bb harp in 5th position; etc).

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

2 Likes

@Slim I know it would be good to figure this out on my own, but I’d appreciate your input. So are the bends really a hindrance playing crossharp for minor if Blues scale offers enough tonal variety or is it the lack of chords.? What are the big downers for playing blues /rock in Gm with a C harp?

2 Likes

Hi @rich3

Unless you are solid and always sure to hit your -3’ and can play -2" without trouble then using the C harp to play in Gm songs is fine. Of course the -7 is a no-go (just like the -3). So it is cool to be able to do the +6o (six overblow, which is like the -3’ just an ocave higher), but not everyone can do that well enough to play it on stage. Also, the -4’ in the next higher octave is missing – unless you can overdraw on hole 7 (again something that few people can play well – or at all – unless they are really good and have the harp set up to do that).

So, I hope, you are starting to see the “troubles” that playing a C harp in 2nd position over a song in Gm can present. Compare all of this with playing a F harp in 3rd position and you should be able to see that your biggest challenge will probably only be the -3" and -3’". And they are easier to get reasonably good than those overblow/overdraw things that occur with the C harp in 2nd position.

As far as chords go: there is no problem if you don’t wish to play chords – I am more of a melody player so someone else might be better to give you tips there.

Regards,

2 Likes

Many thankx Slim, but, 3rd Positon (& especially 5th) is Beyond my ability & understanding yet.

I just use 2nd Position currently. Do your comments work for 2nd also?

the josher33

Hi @thejosher33

The entire first paragraph is talking about 2nd position.

1 Like

Determine which minor keys the band primarily plays in (3 keys?) and buy harps in those minor keys. Save yourself some grief. You may also get a different feel in your playing when it’s just you.

@josher33 welcome to the forum Jesse! So happy to have you here. Sorry I missed this.

3rd position in the middle octave is not difficult to play. You do have to re-learn the order of the notes, where is home-base etc. But you can play the minor scale (Dorian minor specifically) without having to do any bends.

Playing minor in 2nd position requires VERY GOOD BENDING TECHNIQUE. It’s not easy for beginners or even most intermediate players to play minor in 2nd position. (But pro’s do it all the time.)

The natural minor harmonicas are awesome because you can just play everything that you would normally play in second position, except it sounds minor.

I encourage you to Post specifically what songs you’re wanting to play harmonica on. Because there are some songs that work better in various positions for various reasons.

3 Likes