How to Progress Quickly

I first came across this idea in construction but it applies across life. Have you heard it? There are 3 things, Good, Fast, and Cheap, and you can only ever have any two of them at the same time:

It can be Good and Fast, but it won’t be Cheap!
It can be Fast and Cheap, but it won’t be Good!
It can be Good and Cheap, but it won’t be Fast!

This is funny because it is so true! I chose the 3rd option when I built my recording studio, and it took me 3 years to build a structure smaller than my garage! LOL.

And there is a similar concept when it comes to practicing music:
1.) You can play some quantity of piece of music (a short phrase or the entire piece)
2.) You can play it at some tempo (very slowly, or as fast as the recording)
3.) You can play it with some ability (very well to very sloppy)

Just like the previous example, usually making choices about 2 aspects here will affect the third aspect. Check this out:

-You can play a very short excerpt, up to speed, and play it very well
-You can play a long excerpt, and play it very slow, and play it very well
-You can play a long excerpt, and play it up to speed, and play it sloppy

I recommend that 90% of the time, you focus on one of the first two of these three scenarios. These are your best practices:

1.) Play a very short excerpt up to speed
2.) Play a long excerpt very slowly

Focusing 90% of your time on these 2 methods will accelerate your growth as a musician. Trying to play things up to speed and doing a very sloppy job of it is not something we want to practice every day. Because what we do every day will create who we are. So if we play sloppy every day, we will become sloppy harmonica players. Similarly, if we play every day with no emotion, we will become boring harmonica players.

Occasionally it’s good to challenge ourselves beyond our present ability, but most of the time we are best served by playing things really well - either a short segment up to speed, or a long segment very slowly.

I saw a great interview with the famous jazz piano virtuoso Bill Evans, one of my favorite musicians (he played on Miles Davis’ Kind of Blue album) and he observed that most musicians are mediocre because the are just APPROXIMATING what they are hearing, instead taking small enough bites to really be able to PLAY the music. He asserted that even if you are playing the tiniest excerpt of a piece, if you are actually PLAYING it, you are light years ahead of the person who rushes ahead and tries play the whole thing but is only APPROXIMATING it.

Over a couple of decades of teaching, I have seen the same thing time and time again. Students don’t want to be patient with the process. They want to jump ahead to the finish line. In so doing, they develop bad habits which need to be unlearned before new habits can be learned, and their growth is hindered. Why is their growth hindered? Because they are in a hurry to grow faster! Ironic, isn’t it? The very act of wanting to progress quickly makes us progress more slowly.

Here are some great mantras for any aspiring musician:

1.) I have to take it slow to progress more quickly
2.) Slow and steady wins the race
3.) Take a deep breath, relax, just play with it
4.) Don’t try harder, try easier

If you’re going through my Beginner to Boss course, you’ve probably heard me say things like this frequently. You’ve probably also noticed, that most of the time I take things very slowly, and occasionally I’ll challenge you beyond your present ability with a fast tempo.

The musical journey is so fun because it never ends. There is ALWAYS more to learn. There is ALWAYS more to practice. This is why it is FUN. So I encourage you to fall in love with the process. Learn to enjoy taking tiny little baby steps.

And, ironically, in so doing you will be accelerating your growth on the harmonica!

Rock on, my harmonica brothers and sisters!

Aloha,
Luke

9 Likes

GreatAdvice
Thanks

2 Likes

Luke

I am new and will be starting your complete program. After reading many posts and replays learning the harmonica is much like billiards. I have taught billiards to many people and the analogy I give is to look at the process like a large necklace. There are many links to the necklace and every time you learn something you put another piece in the necklace you are trying to build. None are super hard but some more than others. The more your learn the closer you get to having a necklace. Its many different pieces and each must be learned. I get a bit over whelmed reading the books but it seems progress does come. Natural ability is a factor but learning enough to create a necklace will happen with perseverance and practice. If taken one link at a time even a guy like me that cannot read music should be able to be at least a decent player. What do you think of this analogy?
Scott4

4 Likes

Hi @scott4

A good analogy, indeed. It is pretty much the same as Luke @Luke tells everyone working at improving, or even just beginning, to play the harmonica.

And BTW: it is not necessary that one can read musical scores in order to become a good harmonica player. It can assist you, but my opinion is that you can progress very far without that skill. Music theory is more helpfull.

Regards,
– Slim :sunglasses:

4 Likes

@scott4 GREAT analogy! Also, @Slim brings up a great point that reading music couldn’t be less important. I would be surprised if ANY of our favorite harmonica players read sheet music!!! It’s the people’s instrument! :facepunch:t3:

2 Likes

That pretty much sums it up. In doing my daily farm work or keeping the truck maintained. Slow and steady wins the race. In jacking the truck up, if you just slide the jack under and start lifting the truck, it could slip off the jack. Not good. Slide the jack under, raise it slightly and check by look or feel that the jack is positioned correctly. Then, lift the truck, then add jack stands. Slow and steady is often faster than bawls 2da wall. LOL

3 Likes

Practice and play single note songs so correct motes will come. I learn by playing a few songs and hopefully will not need the tabs shortly. I may be wrong but it sure has helped me.

3 Likes

My recommendation is to try and use tabs as little as possible. I’d rather play 4 notes of a song by ear than to play the whole song by tabs.

Don’t get me wrong. Tabs have they’re place when we’re otherwise just stuck. But use 'em. Play with out 'em. REFER to them and then try and get back to using the ear. That’s my opinion.

1 Like

Luke

I have two or three songs I can play with little or no tabs. They require moving the harp around so i get practice hitting single notes, both draw and blow. There are numerous songs I would like to play but it will take some time. I can keep up with you so far but looking at each tab and getting it correct seems impossible to me. Once I get the timing down I focus on these songs and will pick up one or two more.

I have come to the sad realization that some knowledge of music is needed. I will learn more about the lettering of notes, etc to help with tuning.

What really helped me was your comment about using your bottom lip to block so single notes will be cleaner. I find the higher the note the softer it plays but it seems this end of the harp is the more difficult. As far as Slim’s comment I agree and that is what my wife mentioned today as things were not going my way.

I am going to take the same approach I did when transferring to UT Austin from a small poker playing school. I got my GPA over 2.0 and got in to UT. Its like going from single A baseball to the majors. I figured that I must be as smart as at least one of the students that graduated of the last 100 years. This is my approach to learning the harp, especially when my wife closes the door. I enjoy reading but only what I like. I did graduate but it took lots of effort. There were about 20,000 very attractive distractions that made UT fun. It was the beauty capital of the world.

Slim thanks for your comment. I did not pick up the harp to learn all about theory and reading music as this takes some of the fun out of it. Just not my thing.

Luke one ?. When you go from a harp in C and want to play a song in D do you move one note up? If not what do you do?

Scott4