I take back everything I said about the 2023 Golden Melody

[Disclaimer: I’m not endorsed by Hohner nor did they sponsor this post. I’m just an amateur harmonica player who likes to collect them, so take my opinions with a grain of salt.]
I admit, I was afraid to try it out. I was worried that I was gonna hate the redesigned Golden Melody. I was so afraid that I didn’t want to buy one in fear of it being what my friends said about it. I came to the harp with very, very low expectations. But when I started playing the harmonica itself, it was actually quite a nice surprise.
Everybody in the harmonica community knows me as an OG Golden Melody player. I still love them to pieces and I think they hold up. When comparing the two versions together in a sound test, they sound identical to my ears. What was really off-putting to me was how the harp was marketed. It was marketed towards me by Steve Baker as the superior version of the Golden Melody. Honestly, it doesn’t hold a candle to the old one (particularly due to the design), but I think it should be treated as a different harp separate from the Golden Melody name.

5 Likes

I’m a little confused-on the one hand you say that it was a nice surprise but at the end you say it doesn’t hold a candle to the old one. Can you be more specific

2 Likes

What is an OG Golden Melody player?

Thanks,
DonC.

2 Likes

I think that “OG” is a short form for “original”.

3 Likes

I have two of the new version and one of the old. I like the new one quite a bit. I just like the old one a bit better… both in looks and playability. But I’m not advanced, so I have a long way to go on either harp.

3 Likes